D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Classifieds > Items Wanted

Old 08-28-2013, 09:54 PM

Vehicle: 1985 744 w/ D24T, 1986 745 w/ D24T
Default Power steering pump bracket - complete or w/ broken lower mounting tab

Looking for power steering pump bracket, preferably from a D24T but would take one from a D24 as well. Fine if bracket's lower mounting tab is broken off (as long as this tab is with the bracket). Am interested in taking measurements of this bracket and creating a CAD solid model of it, for the purpose of seeing if a machine shop could make brackets, since they are apparently NLA from Volvo. I am a frequent CAD s/w user, so would like to start documenting this part as the first step.

Last edited by Tommy Two Stroke; 08-28-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Supporting Member

I will send you a pm.
Shipments done on fridays!

1982 242 D24+T/M46- Super pumped! Build thread:
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1545
1984 764 D24T/ZF build thread: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1734
Diesel parts cars: 82 244,83 244, 84 244, 84 245, 85 745
Old 08-30-2013, 05:15 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Two Stroke View Post
Am interested in taking measurements of this bracket and creating a CAD solid model of it, for the purpose of seeing if a machine shop could make brackets.
This is such an awesome idea! Good luck on the project and keep us updated!

1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Old 08-31-2013, 09:00 PM

Default bracket

Yes - will keep apprised of progress. Might eventually be a group buy thing if we wanted to get brackets made, to keep cost down.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:19 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Power steering bracket

Quote:
Yes - will keep apprised of progress. Might eventually be a group buy thing if we wanted to get brackets made, to keep cost down.
Hi T2S,
I`d guess this bracket is not built perfectly well, although (luckily) I never saw one broken off or badly cracked.
(The lower sections (where the bushings go into) look so weak, without beef reinforcement from behind.)
While replacing those 3 bushings there today... (I had to apply force to get them out)... I was wondering how`s your `invention`...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140120_144954.jpg (95.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg ps bracket d24t.jpg (101.2 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-20-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:00 PM

Default PS pump bracket

This effort is still alive. Due to time constraints, I have not yet made a CAD model of this bracket (and added reinforcements to improve the design), but I am finally getting around to starting on this. It's my hope to get the CAD file to a machine shop and see how much it would cost to make these brackets. It may not be cheap, but it may be our only option since this bracket is NLA from Volvo and virtually unobtainable anywhere online. Perhaps a group buy could work, given enough interest.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:54 AM

Vehicle: 1986 745 D24T

Quote:
This effort is still alive. (snip) Perhaps a group buy could work, given enough interest.
The other Tom and I have been discussing this project on the D24 mailing list. The following is what I posted there on this subject:
(Begin Quote):

1. Neither the D24 nor the D24T P/S bracket is currently available from any known source.

2. The last time I purchased one of the P/S brackets was on 6/7/2012. At that time Volvo's List Price was $123.23.

3. I have located a foundry that can cast the parts for me at a cost of about $50.00 each, somewhat less in quantity.

4. The foundry would be using "Tenzaloy", Alloy Number 713.1. You can google it for yourself if you want to know more about it.

5. The foundry cannot cast the brackets directly from an existing part because of shrinkage and technical considerations dealing with configuration and casting methodology. A pattern will be required.

6. A pattern maker has quoted me "time and material" to make a pattern, and estimates the cost at about $2,000.00.

7. The pattern maker assures me that the Tenzaloy material would be inherently stronger than the OEM material, and the part itself would be considerably beefier, both across the mid-section, and especially at the bottom, where it fastens to the water pump, theoretically making breakage a thing of the past.

8. If we should decide to make both types of P/S brackets, a separate pattern would be required for each, at a cost of about $2,000.00 each, $4,000.00 total.

9. I estimate the cost of machining to finish each bracket to be about $50.00, but I have not consulted a machinist on this question, yet.

10. So, the total cost to manufacture each and every bracket will be about $100.00, and that does not include paying for the pattern(s).

11. The D24 bracket fits easily on the D24T engine, however, the D24T bracket does not work well on the D24 engine because of interference between the P/S adjustment bracket and the top radiator hose.

12. It seems therefore, that if we can only make one type of P/S bracket, it should be the D24 type.

13. At a price of $200.00 per bracket, I would have to sell about twenty of these brackets, just to break even.

If there is sufficient demand, I will have a pattern made and have some brackets cast and machined. But, *only* if there is sufficient demand.

So, anyone who might like to have one of these brackets, now or at any time in the future, here's your chance. Tell me how many you'd like of each type, and commit to paying up to $200.00 per each, plus shipping, for them.

Also, please state whether or not you'd accept a D24 bracket in lieu of a D24T bracket, in case there is insufficient demand to justify making some of each.

If I get orders for at least twenty of the same type, I'll proceed. Otherwise, I won't. So, if you're interested, you'd better speak *now*, because this offer is not likely to be repeated, at least not by me.

I repeat: Unless I get sufficient orders to at least break even, I will not proceed with this project.

I need to know within a week, or I will not proceed.

(End of quoted material from D24 Mailing List.)

Additional information:

In North America, the 240 got only the D24 engine and the 740 got only the D24T engine, but in other markets, the 740 also got either the D24 or the D24T engine. All 700-series, if they used the bracket at all, used the 740-style bracket. Therefore, what is referred to above as the "D24" bracket is more properly called the 240-style bracket, and the "D24T" bracket is more properly called the 740-style bracket.

The brackets would be cast solid, without ribs on the back side, making them very rugged. They would also be beefed up in breakage-prone areas, especially the tab that attaches to the water pump.

It appears likely that we will be making only the 240-style bracket, which will work well on either the D24 or the D24T engine.

If you're interested, please let me know how many brackets you'd like to buy. I require no money up front. The first batch will be sold at cost to the "subscribers." I will not proceed unless there are sufficient orders to bring the cost down to $200.00 each, or less. That means that I will have to get orders for at least 20 brackets before I will proceed. I currently have requests for 4 brackets.

If interested, please contact me at:
thosbryant@gmail.com
(email preferred)

Tom Bryant
32 JBS Way
Wiscasset, Maine 04578
207-443-6338

Additional background information may be found at:
http://thosbryant.wordpress.com/about/
Old 12-31-2016, 05:36 PM

Vehicle: 1986 745 D24T

Brackets are now available. See: