D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!

Old 12-04-2009, 12:06 PM

Well check them, it is really fast.
First you could check do there come any electric
to that rail right after you turn electrics on,
when relay still connects electric.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:07 PM

Try to connect a cable from pluss on the battery on the connector between the glowplugs in 10 sec or something. Then remove it and try to start. It is a very often failure that the relay don`t put power out.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Owner/admin

did the temp drop 30 or 40 degrees? glow plugs don't all go bad all at once over night. test for power at the glow plugs for power when you turn on the ignition. you may have had one glow plug short out internally which will drain current and keep the rest of them from getting hot. that happened to my car and it would barely start at 50 degrees. check the resistance of all of them. when mine crapped out i just disconnected the bad one and it started fine on the other 5 until i had time to replace the one. Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 12-04-2009, 04:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Josh

well, it was about 50ish degrees as the high yesterday and it hit about 25 overnight.. but I drove it in the middle of the night and it started fine (like it normally does...which isn't all that great in the first place)...

Dad is bringing a test light and some other stuff down tomorrow when they come. We'll check it out.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Owner/admin

Well, as was said above the relay could have gone bad. It may be clicking but no current is going to the plugs. That will be easily diagnosed with the test light at the glow plugs when you turn the key. If thats good than go down the line disconnecting the bus bar and checking the resistance of each plug. Obviously if there is no continuity its bad, and if one is shorted the resistance will be super high. I cant remember what is normal, but lets say it was arounnd 200 for a normal plug. The bad one was up around 700 or something like that. The difference in the reading is very obvious.

Jaon

Old 12-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Check the glow plug fuse. It's screwed in to the bottom of the relay, a big flat blade style fuse on the bottom side of the relay (on the driver's strut tower). Could have burned out.

If it is cold out and your plugs are all dead, or if only one or two are working, there is no way it will ever start. If there is smoke then you know you are getting fuel at the injectors. The timing could jump on shutdown -- had that happen once on an old Rabbit diesel, mysterious but it did happen and I had to retime the motor before it would start. An easy check would be to see if the notch on the back of the injection pump pulley *roughly* lines up with the hash mark on the rear flange of the injection pump when the crank is at TDC (sight through the hole in the bellhousing under where the pump is and watch for the "0" mark on the flywheel to appear in the opening and line it up with the pointer inside the hole). If the marks on the pump are anywhere close when the crank is at TDC then it should be OK, at least it should be where it was before when it ran. If they are even as much as one tooth off -- let alone two or three -- it will not start at all. All you need to do this check is a 27mm socket for the crank bolt and some patience, no special tools, so it would be worth checking if you have time.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:21 AM

I also think it's the pump timing belt that has jumped over, they can often do that just as they stop or start
Old 12-06-2009, 02:45 PM

So, all of the glow plugs have power (used test light) and the 3 that are easy to reach all give pretty small readings on the ohmmeter (if I'm using it correctly)...
Old 12-06-2009, 07:44 PM

We just towed it up to my parent's house 100 miles away via tow rope... with a Toyota Tercel. That was exciting. Its in our shop now. Sounds kinda like there's more than just a problem with glowplugs.

We are going to test the compression on it tomorrow.. If any of the Portland/Salem people have any extra time sometime soon to lend a hand to a diesel-stupid pair of gearheads... it would be greatly appreciated.. Beer and a hot meal in payment?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Owner/admin

It could be a timing issue with the belt. The engine isn't going to be starting and running one minute and then be totally worn out with low compression the next time you go to start it! You need to check the other three plugs as well. I doubt it would start on only 3 in cool to cold weather. Mine at one point had two bad glow plugs and in warm weather with the engine cold it was an extended cranking time compaired to normal.. I'm talking 70 degrees outside. Only 3 plugs possibly working and 40 or so degrees I doubt it would happen.

Keep us posted.

Jason