D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!

Old 04-17-2014, 01:24 PM

Vehicle: '84 245 d24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Hold on! I like hugs too but if you would answer his question:

Then we would have a MUCH better idea of what to suggest to you to make this a less painful situation and arrive at a solid solution.

We WANT to help you.

We CAN help you.

We WILL help you, if:::::::::::::::::::::::: you play along with the 20 questions game. There is a certain "best" method to installing the injection pump and timing it. ANYTHING ELSE will end up with big problems (as you are seeing now) and is the cause for premature deaths of many of these cars. It is not so complicated but it is "out of the ordinary" for most mechanics and many think they can get the job done using methods that have worked for years on other cars. But, here even good intentions can cause bad results.

This engine will not run well if it is not timed correctly. To time it correctly requires the proper (specialty) tools, and following the correct method in the correct order. NO CHEATING! Unless you are lucky.

So let's approach this like a science problem, take a step at a time, observe, note the results, and report back.

Again,

Please answer and watch how we start making progress!
We were using an aftermarket manual... I think. The book is out at the shop. I know it's not a green book but don't remember exactly what. Maybe just a chiltons or something. This is all a very big learning experience. I've got the timing dial tool on the way. I've been told the diesel mechanic's methods are pretty solid but as you've mentioned above, I am not confident he used the proper methods or just methods that have worked on various diesel engines.

We did try switching the 'in' and 'out' banjo bolts as suggested by v8volvo which didn't change the results. Also installed a new fuel filter and double checked the line contained no air bubbles.

also wanted to apologize for being intermittent with my responses. The vehicle is about a 15minute drive from my computer. I have my phone but web coverage is spotty and typing away on that little screen is challenging. I am naturally long winded (barely ever have a short answer (I'm Irish, lol)) so you'll be able to tell the difference between my phone replies and computer replies. Either way, I am grateful for all the info and tips shared while getting my volvo up and running.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:30 PM

Ok, so we are back at the shop today, addressing this beast...

Quote:
"What repair manual were you following for installing the pump, the Volvo green manual or something different? What exact steps did the mechanics take to set the injection timing -- was it all "by feel" or visual?

I spoke to the diesel guy. He told me that he didn't get as far as timing the pump. It was running but it was running really rough. There WAS NO THROTTLE CONTROL. Because of that he didn't go much further into timing it.

Quote:
The tools you need are readily available to buy for under $50: here is a good-quality ZDMak set for $49 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Tools-Bosc..._Tools&vxp=mtr Or, there are several members on this forum, myself included, who will be happy to loan you their set for free (with deposit in my case).

So I've purchased the above from ebay... but it seems that the shaft is too short?? Seriously could be operator error, lol, but we can't seem to figure it out. I swear we aren't nitwits, I promise. I've printed the greenbook section on timing from k-jet.org and the dial in the pictures appears to have a much longer shaft. How long is yours?? (lol, this is kinda a funny conversation).

Quote:
The problems you're describing could possibly be due to an internal injection pump problem, sticking throttle control can result from that, I have seen it once or twice on pumps that sat "uncorked" for a long time where old fuel exposed to air turned into gum. (How long ago was this IP removed from a good-running motor?)

Just spoke to the shop from where I purchased. It was pulled out of a running vehicle about 18-20 months ago (because vehicle was being converted to WVO). It sat for about a year. The shop picked it up, cleaned it with "diesel clean" (??), sat for 6 months, at which time I purchased it. Upon installation, the pump was primed until fuel was flowing through the lines.

Quote:
Did you remember what we mentioned about the "in" and "out" banjo bolts for the fuel supply and return? If these are reversed, inability to increase engine speed above idle and excessive smoke are the typical effects, so check this again carefully.
How recent is your fuel filter? Any air in the translucent fuel line from the filter to the IP inlet when the motor is running?

Because of the above suggestions, In and out banjo bolts were double checked and fuel filter was replaced because we recently purchased this wagon and don't know when it was last replaced.

Quote:
This engine will not run well if it is not timed correctly. To time it correctly requires the proper (specialty) tools, and following the correct method in the correct order. NO CHEATING! Unless you are lucky.

So let's approach this like a science problem, take a step at a time, observe, note the results, and report back.

So this is where we are now; the proper tools, the greenbook "how-to", all amped and ready to go!!! but....the short shaft of the dial?

Last edited by CapnSass; 04-23-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnSass View Post
I spoke to the diesel guy. He told me that he didn't get as far as timing the pump. It was running but it was running really rough. There WAS NO THROTTLE CONTROL. Because of that he didn't go much further into timing it.
OK, so we can't expect meaningful results until the IP is correctly static timed. But RE: No throttle control: Is is possible the throttle arm had been removed and replaced in a different position on its splined shaft? (But don't worry too much about this now. We may come back to this later).

Quote:
So I've purchased the above from ebay... but it seems that the shaft is too short?? Seriously could be operator error, lol, but we can't seem to figure it out. I swear we aren't nitwits, I promise. I've printed the greenbook section on timing from k-jet.org and the dial in the pictures appears to have a much longer shaft. How long is yours?? (lol, this is kinda a funny conversation).
Why I hardly even know you!
Seriously speaking, that short extender is the version easily (inexpensively) available nowadays. But IT WILL WORK! Just requires temporarily removing the vacuum pump that now blocks access.

HELPFUL NOTES for removing vacuum pump:
1. Loosen lower nut first, to avoid spring pressure from breaking the lower boss.
2. The actuating rod might want to slide out of the head and clatter on the floor. Try not to let it. When removing the actuating rod, mark or otherwise note its orientation-- it has to go back the same way-- same side pointing in towards the engine; that side is wear-matched to the camshaft it rides on.
3. Don't lose the large slim o-ring seal and if necessary hold it in place (groove in cover) for reassembly with a few dabs of grease or vaseline.

Quote:
Just spoke to the shop from where I purchased. It was pulled out of a running vehicle about 18-20 months ago (because vehicle was being converted to WVO). It sat for about a year. The shop picked it up, cleaned it with "diesel clean" (??), sat for 6 months, at which time I purchased it. Upon installation, the pump was primed until fuel was flowing through the lines.
Hmmm... Wonder why they would replace a working IP prior to WVO conversion.

Quote:
Because of the above suggestions, In and out banjo bolts were double checked and fuel filter was replaced because we recently purchased this wagon and don't know when it was last replaced.
Good work!

Quote:
So this is where we are now; the proper tools, the greenbook "how-to", all amped and ready to go!!! but....the short shaft of the dial?
Great, now you're on the right track! Dial gauge shorty adapter will work just as well, just requires temp. removing the vac pump for access (see above), adds 20-30 minutes overall max.

Greenbook method is good, but can be a little confusing. Here are helpful notes above & beyond, field tested (specifically post #16 in this thread):
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=930&page=2
Print that out and take it to your mechanics as well.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

To add a couple more things onto the good info ngoma provided above:

Quote:
If it was running very poorly, then the fact that there was apparently no throttle control might not be the injection pump's fault. If the timing is very far off and the engine's compression is quite healthy, then it's conceivable that the engine could run (extremely poorly and with colossal amounts of smoke) on residual fuel injected at the wrong time, and in such scenarios there's limited ability for changing injected quantity to change engine speed. In other words, you might get the impression that the pump's throttle control was faulty when in reality all the symptoms, including the apparent inability to control engine speed, are on account of incorrect timing. The fact that the mechanic attempted to even start the engine without first confirming timing indicates that his approach was wrong.

Note: before **ANY!!!!!** conclusions are ever to be made about the fundamental condition of an engine or injection pump, in the context of a D24 or other similar motor, camshaft and injection timing ABSOLUTELY **MUST!!!** be confirmed to be correct by OBJECTIVE means (i.e. by the use of tools -- NOT by visual alignment of timing marks or by "timing by ear"). This applies to pump-injected diesel engines as a very basic rule.

If someone's telling you that they are condemning the pump on the grounds that the engine ran so badly BEFORE they set the timing that they decided it wasn't worth bothering to even go through the timing procedure.......... then that raises a lot of suspicion about their thought process and their qualification to correctly do the work.

Quote:
So I've purchased the above from ebay... but it seems that the shaft is too short??
The tool you got is technically intended for a 4-cylinder VW pump but it will work just fine here. 5-cylinder Audi and 6-cylinder Volvo versions of this motor do use an indicator holder with a longer tube and rod, as you see from the greenbook's pictures. However, as ngoma said, carefully removing the vacuum pump from the Volvo engine will make room for the (much cheaper and more available) VW version of the tool to be used with no trouble -- and in your case, given the work that has been done so far, you will need to remove the vacuum pump anyway to verify that you're timing the pump to #1 compression TDC on the cam, rather than 180 degrees out. This is done by pulling the vacuum pump off (carefully observing ngoma's note about loosening its nuts very slowly and evenly so as to avoid breakage of the mounting ears) and, with the crankshaft TDC mark aligned in the bellhousing, checking whether the pushrod that drives the vacuum pump is at maximum extension out of the head, or at its minimum position. Minimum position indicates you're at #1 TDC compression (what you want), while maximum extension means #1 TDC exhaust (180 degrees off).

Normally this isn't a step you have to take when changing an injection pump, but since there are some possible questions now about whether the cam and pump are phased correctly, it should be done. So, in short, you can remove the vacuum pump and then you'll be able to do this and also get the tool into the IP without interference.

Quote:
As ngoma said, this is a strange reason to claim for replacing an injection pump. If you get your engine successfully timed, to 110% certainty, and it still doesn't run correctly, then there may be some questions that need to be asked of the people that sold the pump to you to fill in the background of this story a little better. Normally, an injection pump is only ever removed from an engine either because a) the pump has something wrong with it and needs work, or b) the engine that the pump was bolted to has expired and the good-running pump is being removed for spares. It is exceedingly uncommon to remove a problem-free pump from a problem-free engine for some kind of preemptive reason, including preparation for WVO.

However, right now the first priority, before questioning the pump itself any further, is to make sure it has been installed properly with correct timing. Until that's done, you unfortunately won't be in a position to back up any claims about whether or not the pump is in as-described condition if/when you go back to the shop that sold it to you with complaints about the way it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnSass
So this is where we are now; the proper tools, the greenbook "how-to", all amped and ready to go!!!
OK, you now have the right stuff, and have already made a lot of diagnostic progress -- you're more than halfway to having the answers you need!

Here's a deal I'll offer: If you come all the way to having timed the engine exactly perfectly and you determine, beyond all possible doubt, that the problem here is due to pump malfunction and NOT due to incorrect installation, then I have a known good running spare D24 pump that I will be happy to provide for a very low price. However, we have to first do the work to prove 100% that the pump is what's causing the problem! There's a lot of good info here in this thread now, so keep us posted on your next progress and we'll see where we end up.

Last edited by v8volvo; 04-28-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:56 PM

Default Mechanic Diagnosis #2

Sooooooooooooo......

The mechanic has been great! He's very willing to utilize this forum, your guys' advice, the links provided, and print outs of the green books. Before he got back under the hood, he spent time reading and getting to know the quirkiness of this engine and the timing details. With all advice followed and thorough troubleshooting, the car still is not running properly. He's absolutely certain the IP is installed and timed correctly. But there still is no trottle control. Does this mean the pump is indeed a junker?? Or could there be another detail not yet addressed because we've been so focused on the timing??

Thanks again for all your help. Please let me know if there are further questions.

Laura
Old 05-16-2014, 01:19 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

Quote:

I didn't speak directly to the diesel mechanic friend but what I overheard & understood was that he the same problems with the throttle control, or lack of. The pump doesn't respond to the order for more or less fuel.

This was a little steep & I had just found the listing for the "working" pump in Washington ($500) which came with glow plugs, injectors, and fuel lines. I went this route to save a buck (which now really isn't going to).
^is this the pump installed now?

How long did it sit unused?

Is there air int he return line
1 running
2 after parking a bit

does it start right up and idle?

does it run the same when running from an alternative fuel supply?

Idling ahead in gear, is the RPM steady?

Usually no throttle response is the throttle shaft on the wrong spline, but that can only happen if the pump is tampered with.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745 TurboGreasel View Post
^is this the pump installed now?

How long did it sit unused?

Is there air int he return line
1 running
2 after parking a bit

does it start right up and idle?

does it run the same when running from an alternative fuel supply?

Idling ahead in gear, is the RPM steady?

Usually no throttle response is the throttle shaft on the wrong spline, but that can only happen if the pump is tampered with.

It's the $500 pump purchased from Washington that is on the car now. I believe it sat unused for about 18 months. It was cleaned and shelved until sold.

I'll take these great(!!!) questions to the mechanic, who's shop is closed for the weekend. Will return with full report early next week. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2014, 10:41 AM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

Quote:
It was cleaned and shelved until sold.
Pretty good chance the throttle arm is on the wrong spline if they did any cleaning inside. if so its an easy fix.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745 TurboGreasel View Post
Pretty good chance the throttle arm is on the wrong spline if they did any cleaning inside. if so its an easy fix.
I don't know if they did any internal cleaning to the pump. The employee said it was cleaned with 'diesel clean' & shelved. What is diesel clean? Is it something used to clean the inside? Like you'd have to take it apart? There was no mention of the pump being resealed or rebuilt (it was being sold as 'removed from running vehicle). I would think that if you cleaned the inside you would at least reseal it & that would be a selling point. ??? This leads me to believe that it was never messed with internally.

Would there be any other reason for no throttle control?

Ill get with the mechanic today to get the above questions answered.

Also, if the pump does turn out to be a junker, do I have any grounds to ask for my money back from the shop? How are these situations normally handled? It was being sold as a pump that came off a running vehicle. If I can get my vehicle to run with it, indicating something wrong with pump, can I return it? Or it is a buyer beware, I'm screwed sorta situation?

Thanks guys.