D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!

Old 03-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobodan View Post
use ATF, it is a crime to use power steering fluid!
Same goes for the manual transmission. for the love of GOD do not use MTL in your M45,M46, and M47. Always use ATF.

Once a month on average we get customers that went to jiffy lube or oil can henry's and now there rack leaks. So I ask them if they touched the power steering unit. yes they flushed it they reply.... I check the fluid and its clear. Gosh maybe thats why the rack seals blew out. customer calls up jiffy lube, and tries to get them to pay for the new rack because of their stupidity.

And yes they will put gear lube in the manual transmissions. It whipes out the OD and makes reverse not work so great.

Use ATF use ATF use ATF!!!!!
I've never had an issue using normal power steering fluid in a Volvo, but you probably see more of them than I do... sounds like I better change my steering fluid out. Good to know.

Why do you say not to use MTL in the M46? I have heard nothing but positive reports about it. Everyone I have asked says it works great in M46s. I just bought a bunch to install into my 764 next week. What's the issue?
Old 03-07-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobodan View Post
use ATF, it is a crime to use power steering fluid!
Same goes for the manual transmission. for the love of GOD do not use MTL in your M45,M46, and M47. Always use ATF.

Once a month on average we get customers that went to jiffy lube or oil can henry's and now there rack leaks. So I ask them if they touched the power steering unit. yes they flushed it they reply.... I check the fluid and its clear. Gosh maybe thats why the rack seals blew out. customer calls up jiffy lube, and tries to get them to pay for the new rack because of their stupidity.

And yes they will put gear lube in the manual transmissions. It whipes out the OD and makes reverse not work so great.

Use ATF use ATF use ATF!!!!!
I have a m46. you are saying never to use gear lube in the man. trans. i never go to jiffy lube or anywhere really. so just use ATF?
Old 03-07-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
I've never had an issue using normal power steering fluid in a Volvo, but you probably see more of them than I do... sounds like I better change my steering fluid out. Good to know.

Why do you say not to use MTL in the M46? I have heard nothing but positive reports about it. Everyone I have asked says it works great in M46s. I just bought a bunch to install into my 764 next week. What's the issue?
tricky tricky...
Old 03-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

ATF is the fluid Volvo specifies as the correct fill for the M46. However, they also specifiy that 10W30 or 10W40 is equally acceptable in areas where temperatures don't get too low (some very low number that never occurs around here). Redline MTL is a recommended replacement in applications specifying 10W30 oil in the gearbox, so according to that logic it ought to be fine in the M46.

Kevin what problems have you seen with MTL? And in your experience, does it matter what kind of ATF is used in the steering? I think the Volvo spec is to use Type F, but it seems like regular Dex/Merc ought to be fine as well...
Old 03-07-2010, 05:30 PM

ok, so i got the steering rack out today, and the new one in. on the sheet that came with it, it says i need to flush the fluid out of the pump. in order to do that i need to crank the engine without starting it. i am having trouble finding the wire i need to disconnect to do this.

I also got a new tire to replace the worn one. it was warn on the outside edge of the front left, so it needed an allignment anyways. i also cleaned the car up a bit, and am installing a subwoofer in the trunk. I'll probably get a new head unit a little down the road too.

i think i'm going to start a garage thread with pictures.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:37 PM

btw, getting that steering rack out was a real bitch. the tool they were trying to rent me was going for 160 per day....so i said ef that. the 10 tool sold in stores did nothing but squish the grease out, so i ended up grabbing a 3 foot prybar, wedging that in there between the tie rod and the main wheel mount bracket really well, then standing on it, and jumping repeatedly. i weigh about 200 and there was at least a 10:1 ratio on that bar. i was jumping so with my weight and the g forces, i would estimate the force necessary to get it off was about 3000 pounds. oh, and i had to take the aftermarket sway bar off to get the u brackets off... but it's cool, i got it done, just took closer to 8 hours in total for me, instead of 20 minutes. i didn't do an alignment, though it's not pulling at all. i rotated the tires so i have the back, with good thread in the front now. good enough for now...
Old 03-29-2010, 11:47 AM

If you mean a ball joint separator, the best type is the one meant for small HGV's or vans. The cheap ones from accessory shops are intended for more puny vehicles!

Separating joints with a prybar can cause distortion.

Mine was made by Sykes-pickavant and bought for £12.00 from ebay. New ones are about £70 -120 new dependant on manufacturer..

Regards

John D
Old 04-09-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davies View Post
If you mean a ball joint separator, the best type is the one meant for small HGV's or vans. The cheap ones from accessory shops are intended for more puny vehicles!

Separating joints with a prybar can cause distortion.

Mine was made by Sykes-pickavant and bought for £12.00 from ebay. New ones are about £70 -120 new dependant on manufacturer..

Regards

John D
is a HGV like a SUV?

i got it right next to the ball joint so i think it was all gravy. didn't notice any distortions. thanks for the heads up though.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:22 AM

HGV=Stationwagon
Old 04-28-2010, 07:09 PM

yo. thanks, cool