D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 01:47 AM

Default starter moter/ alternator for d24 tic

hi all what starter moter and alternator woud you recommend for my d24 tic
1995 model do you have volvo part number for starter moter ?
regards jim
Old 03-10-2019, 09:29 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

What happened to the starter and alternator you have currently in the car? Was there a problem or are you looking to do preventive maintenance?
Old 03-11-2019, 10:20 AM

hi i just wanted to get spare ones if they came up at the right price thanks
Old 03-12-2019, 12:23 PM
Supporting Member

Decent remanufactured replacement starters and alternators are no problem to obtain and are fine in terms of quality. There is no particular reason to spend your money buying spares to have on hand. You can also have either part overhauled by a local rebuilder, both are regular Bosch parts built with standard components and will be no challenge for any competent electrical rebuild shop. If you do need to purchase a replacement part, Bosch reman units are usually reliable and you should be able to order one from any local parts store.

Have you fixed your coolant temperature gauge yet??

My advice would be to make the next money you spend on this car repairing that gauge if you have not done it already. Take it to a shop and have it done for you if you feel that you can't do it yourself. You will regret having spent money and effort on many other areas of the car if you melt down the engine and could have avoided it. Don't get distracted by less critical repairs until it is fixed.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:35 AM

Default j p liddy

thanks for your input V8VOLVO i have not got the tempreture gauge fixed yet my i had some one solider a lot of the circuit board joints this fixed my fuel gauge but again failed to fix the temprtue gauge. woud you recommend fitting a separate tempreture gauge using the existing tempreture sensor on the front of the engine ?
Old 03-19-2019, 12:30 PM
Supporting Member

Adding an aftermarket temperature gauge would be an option if you cannot or don't want to fix the stock gauge. Aftermarket gauges are also typically more accurate than the original gauge which is designed to restrict its movement around normal operating temperature and as a result can prevent the operator from being warned of a problem until after it has already become serious.

However, repairing the stock gauge will not be difficult if you would prefer to use it rather than adding another gauge. It is a simple system with only three possible areas that could cause it to not function:
1) the sending unit on the engine
2) the gauge or the instrument cluster
3) the electrical wiring between the sending unit and the cluster

There are simple diagnostic procedures you can do that will pinpoint which of these three areas the problem is in. Once you know where the problem is you will then be able to make a repair. There is no point in attempting repairs such as reflowing the solder in the cluster circuit board if you don't yet know whether that is the cause of the issue.

We can walk you through the troubleshooting process step by step. But before anyone here donates their time and knowledge to help you with this, you will need to be agree to follow the steps exactly in the order and technique that is described, and then report your results back here in a clear way so we can guide you along.

If you want to do that and are prepared to go about it in a way that will not waste other forum members' time, then start a new thread focused on the topic of your temperature gauge, and folks will assist you there.