D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 03-09-2018, 05:21 PM
Supporting Member

Default Cleaning oily gunk out of the cooling system

Head gasket failure allowed engine oil into the cooling system. I guess that proves that oil pressure is higher than cooling system PSI . Actually I prefer that to coolant in the oil .

But it is a mess to clean out. Oily black coating all the interior cooling system surfaces. It will attack the rubber hoses and gaskets, and reduce the efficiency of the cooling system.

The cooling system flush products available today are not very effective on the oil mess. I am intrigued by this method, the one they call the 3 Day Power Flush.
It involves a bucket, sump pump, and extending the upper radiator hose into the bucket, and the sump pump discharge into the upper radiator inlet, letting the pump circulate the water + cleaning agent (I am thinking automatic dishwasher detergent) thru the cooling system for 3 days.

What do you think?
Old 03-21-2018, 02:11 PM
Supporting Member

Here's what it looks like in action. 5 gallon bucket. Sump pump is in the middle, intake raised a few inches off the bottom to avoid recirculating any accumulated grit. Pump discharge is at 10 o'clock, return is at 5 o'clock.

P1020788.JPG
Old 04-07-2018, 12:11 PM
Supporting Member

Default Coolant bottle

Cleaning the coolant bottle is important also. First I tried purple power (caustic) with aquarium gravel to help scrub when shaken. Little improvement. Next I sprayed some aerosol engine degreaser (petroleum product), added a handful of oil absorb (think kitty litter) and shook. Excellent results! My only dislike was the residual petrochemical odor on my clothes.

Wish I had taken some before photos, but here are the afters:

Coolant bottle2.JPG

Coolant bottle1.JPG