D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764
Default New-to-me pristine 760

Just picked up a cherry '85 760 sedan with a bad injection pump. PO tried to replace the seals but got in over his head and couldn't get it running right after putting it back together. He used some ether on it to try to get it going, which hopefully didn't hurt it too bad. I traded him my good-running '89 744 gasser for his dead 760. I was concerned about trading a good, solid car that needed nothing for a dead car with unknown needs, that I couldn't even test drive to see if the trans worked etc.... but, reliable gas-powered cars are boring anyhow, right?

Had to re-time the pump and got it running with a primer bulb, but it needs an IP rebuild, transfer pump is not working right. However, it does seem to all work... trans, etc, and engine sounds healthy enough so hoping the ether did not break any pistons or rings.

It's going to need a starter and glowplugs too, so lots of $$$ to get it going... but it is the cleanest one I've owned yet, so ought to be worth the investment.

IP going to DFIS this week, then we will see how it does with a new IP. Pictures coming soon!