D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Old 01-31-2010, 09:41 AM

Default turbo d

Hi everybody, thought I would introduce myself. I am in south west Scotland and I have a 1991 940 d24t estate. I have added quite a lot of bits to this car in the 16 years I have owned it but its starting to show a little rust here and there. I had the notion to buy one of the last 940 estates and transfer the engine and g/box but I don't know how many wiring problems I might run into. regards AA
Old 01-31-2010, 10:11 AM

Hi Turbo d

About a year ago I transferred a D24T from an 85 car into a 92 740 Turbo wagon (estate). I think it would have been just as easy on the even later 945 wagon

Electrically it was not difficult at all as the engine has very little thats electrically driven.
The injector solenoids have to be powered for the engine to run so I used the radio suppression relay. There may be an overboost switch too which I have not bothered to connect as I have the turbo gauge on the dash. A tach converter is available but I have not yet splashed out the $80 for it. You may have to swap the electric radiator fan. Mine was mechanical and I still use it as I have no temp switch installed yet, to control the electric fan from the petrol car.
The swap was quite easy as the turbo car air cleaner, battery, were on the same side as the diesel whereas the non turbo is opposite. You have to remember to swap the front suspension cross members to get the correct engine mounts and this messed up my geometry slightly but its fixed now.
You may have to deal with different transmission shifter also.
In my case I replaced a AW automatic with the ZF automatic and the shifter mechanisms were quite different but they interchanged as a straight bolt in.

good luck,

Steve
Old 01-31-2010, 10:25 AM

Oh and by the way, Welcome to the group!
Hope you dont have too much snow at present.

Steve
Old 01-31-2010, 03:45 PM

Hi, snow has all gone for the moment so I have taken all the sand bags out of the back of the car. I could not get out my drive without them as I put silly wide tyres on and it has no grip. Not used to this 10/20 cms of white shit. AA