D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket

Old 07-29-2014, 09:27 PM

Default 745 D24T looking for a little more power

What would you guys recommend? I don't wanna decrease longevity of the engine, just a little more get up and go. It runs pretty solid as it is. Should i make some adjustments to the injection pump? Bigger injectors? I plan on added a IC here in the next month or so. I was wondering if you guys do away with the turbo intake and go with a d24 n/a intake...just seems to me from the looks of things that the n/a intake would be more suitable...let me know your thoughts!!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:55 PM

I'm by no means particularly knowledgable with extracting more power, but certainly there is a lot that can be done.

Starters I would think that intercooler should be job 1, as it'll help keep inlet temperatures down, and that's going to have a knock on effect on exhaust gas temperatures.

I would think modding the pump a little should be your next call. Search on the web for what people do with the pumps in Volkswagen golf/rabbit (not sure of you're in us?). Max fuel screw is the easiest adjustment but I found that modding the govenor and LDA and setting the injection advance right made a better difference with less smoke off boost.

Mine came with an intercooler to begin with (940 engine) so I've only done the pump mods so far, and it feels as quick if not slightly quicker than our V70 TDI.

If you want to go further then MBC and a boost gauge means you could run more boost and then there's maybe another 20hp maybe available, I think, as long as your head gasket is good.

You could go further. ARP studs and MLS head gaskets to handle more boost, different turbo/s, water injection etc but I definitly can't tell you about that as I have no intention of doing that to my engine.

As for using an NA manifold, I think I've heard people doing that but I don't know the reasons. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will tell you!

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your aims.

Richard
Old 07-31-2014, 03:28 PM

Vehicle: Volvo 965

If in your part of the world an original D24TIC intake and IC are obtainable - go for it!

Else... New injectors (there are some good threads around here about it, do a search...), FMIC (alcohol spray it?), MLS HG, then LDA/max fuel/governor mod (governor mod does huuge difference), then boost...lots of it. Mine went up to about 2 bar (28 psi) on stock TIC turbo, but efficiency is questionable.

On a healthy engine, you can expect power similar to a gasser turbobrick with lots of torque and unbeatable sound.

Of course, price is longevity. You can't really expect it to spin 6500rpm @2bar all day long and still be able to pass 100.000km on it.

Though, a D24 is pretty sturdy motor, its weakest spot being the long, narrow head prone to cracking. Make sure radiator, thermostat and all the hoses are in perfect order and perhaps replace the water pump with the updated version off a VW T4 van's 2.4D inline five.

There is virtually every step explained on this and VW Diesel forums, it is up to you only to find the balance of power and longevity that suits you.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:27 PM
Supporting Member

Here is a good start, lots of good info for you:

More power from your D24T! (updated 1/3/11!)
Old 10-01-2014, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the response guys, I'm slacking on my part. I did turn the max fuel(boost) enrichment screw in about 1/4 turn clockwise. It seemed to help it quite a bit actually. It rolls a lot more coal now though, but nothing outrageous. I'm looking for a good EGT guage to go with. Any suggestions?