D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket

Old 08-13-2014, 09:38 PM

Default Need a new radiator (240 D24)

I contacted Tascaparts and they said the Volvo rads are NLA. What are my other options for a NEW radiator. Thanks

Rock-Auto has these.

VISTA-PRO Part # 433267 $71.79

NISSENS Part # 65610 $337.79
Old 08-19-2014, 09:12 AM

I think the 260 series V6 Volvos had the same radiator. If you can get a used brass radiator, an old school radiator shop can re-core it, essentially reusing the end tanks to build you a new radiator.

You could also look at switching over to a brand new 4 cylinder gasoline radiator, if you could find a good solution to make the hoses line up properly. It's a smaller radiator, but actually seems to cool better and clog less often. They adequately cool the B230FT motors which easily produce more than twice the heat of a D24.

Despite producing more heat, the gasoline Volvos run cooler uphill, probably because they climb faster and get more airflow over the radiator. If you go with a smaller radiator, just make sure you have all of the plastic shrouds properly in place, and a very good fan (ideally a brand new Aisin tropical fan clutch).

Last edited by casioqv; 08-19-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:52 PM

Crazy thing I have been running NO fan for about 6 months now and have had zero problems keeping my car cool. There may have been 1 time while I was in stop and go traffic in 90+ heat that it got warm but for the most part the cooling system in my car works without a hitch 99% of the time. That being said I noticed that some of my fins have what appears to be disintegrated away and I just want to be pro active on acquiring a new radiator. I have never had a radiator re-cored but I can only imagine it is similar in price to the well made Nissen ones that can be had for roughly $300. I do however what to know if there is say a universal aluminum that will fit in the area of the stock radiator.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:07 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Radiator fins

Before you install your radiator in the trashcan, consider a chemical cleaning combined with the gentle touch of a fin comb.
If you look at the picture, you know I`ll be very busy tomorrow. On the very left side there`s one of the best goodies I got today.
This liquid is non-acidic, used by hvac guys to clean ac units/huge rooftop condensers etc without killing themselves.

It`s very powerful (&dangerous) so you`ll need gloves and eye protection.
Take 1part of blue coil cleaner,add 3 parts water, put this into a chemical resistant sprayer that has not only spray but a stream function also. Take your garden hose and always keep it nearby.
Cover everything on car that you don`t want to `destroy`. On a d24t, I removed grille, misc plastic trim behind bumper, radiator upper brackets,a few screws, shroud,etc. For next time I`m planning to use a plastic tarp to protect the engine area well (hoses,plastics,wiring).
After removing front fan, I sprayed the area, both sides, very rich. Lifted and tilted radiator and did the same. Wait for 5-8 minutes. Coil cleaner will foam up, bringing out all the junk you have in there.
I got bird feathers, mud, broken glass pieces, hair, west coast pine needles wedged in there, some so deeply you`d never ever reach them with any tool. I did take out over 400 (yes that many) rocks of different sizes. I used a set of pick tools to do so, took me long hrs, ask me how I know… It was a joy spraying it down to wait for the fun part. (After the clean-up I went back and attacked it again, finding `new` rocks again, many of them)
Drink a beer and come back in 8minutes to rinse the hell out of those coolers. Better doing it from rear towards the front as they got in there the opposite way. Rinse it again and again, don`t be cheap, you want every bit of that coil poison off your car. I used soo much water! but the rad pictures talk. The coil cleaner removed EVERYthing from inside so perfectly that I can see through (where the fins are not too bent). People with strong nerves handle that too... but I grabbed a fin tool to be my slave with good results.

ZERO crap left in there! Since replacing the punctured heater hose, my temp gauge stops earlier, a little below the middle. I`m sure this radiator CPR helps some too.

PRO-BLUE Heavy Duty Coil Cleaner, 1G=$12, I used 15% of it only, applied twice& I sprayed a lot!
Worth a try cleaning rads. I heard of citric acid being a great cleaner of the INSIDE of radiators. I`m wondering what would this coil stuff do in there…IDK. Flush the heck out of it, for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140908_234945[1].jpg (86.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20140830_190801[1].jpg (97.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20140830_190754[1].jpg (97.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20140908_193713[1].jpg (97.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20140908_193441[1].jpg (100.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 09-08-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Added pictures and corrected my stupid text