D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2016, 12:26 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

Most of the non waxstat cold start devices I have seen, the linkage bumps the idle as needed.

It is not an on /off thing, but a proportional control ...tapers off as engine warms. It doesn't get much below freezing here, and I've never had one that worked. I think my VW caddy had a cable operated one, but I never needed it.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:50 PM

I live in warm climate, maybe i could start engine without it, but using it engine starts by only touching the key,its amazing! If engine is hot it starts the same without using it. I found when engine is cold but not enough for the glow plug lights turn on, the best is to just pull a little the knob and then start the engine, and pushing the knob once the engine is running.

I have a little problem with black smoke in third gear if pulling, what can i do for fixing it? is the smoke screw in top of the pump the way for reducing it? I can pull it in second gear with almost no smoke, but when pulling it in third gear it smokes black. I have a boost gauge and i can not see almost boost when pulling, maybe 0.2 or 0.3 bar... I did not change the o-rings of the turbo to manifold pipe... is there an air leak maybe that is producing that problem? or do you think is a pump adjustment screws issue related? Timing is spot on

Thanks

Last edited by Ekus; 03-15-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:59 PM
Supporting Member

Recently I posted some links to IP tuning, LDA tuning, look around in some recent threads, you'll find it. Talks about smoke at different boost levels and how to adjust for it. No time for me to find it for you right now, sorry.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:01 PM

I found it, it's in the 'Hazing d24t' thread http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm

Very good info. I will try to make some adjustments, i will mark before the original positions. Thanks