D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Old 08-28-2015, 08:39 AM

Vehicle: 1985 760GLe
Default Hello From Kansas

Hello,
I just joined due to a recent purchase of a 85' 760 wagon and have been reading like crazy since it has sat for at least five years maybe more. Now it at least is functioning. I still have to clean the fuel tank because it is plugged from crap. I will add some pictures soon, however I was battling a sticky injection pump and used carb cleaner to get it free. I was talking to a local diesel shop and that is what they use to clean them when they had it apart, so I figured with nothing to loose I filled the fuel filter about a third of the way and ran it till it filled the IP. did this twice, on the second day I let it sit for 24 hours and started it, let it idle till it chugged all the carb cleaner out then just a few minutes after the idle cleared up she was no longer sticky. it would limit the rev's to about 2000 rpm, now I have a full range of operation.
so I was excited when it worked and figured I'd share so that someone could also benefit from my experience also.

Last edited by gluten4punishment; 08-28-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:32 PM

Vehicle: 1985 760GLe

they're not the best pictures but, now it runs, I have yet to clean the tank so that I can put it on the ground and test drive it, but that will be soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1439167985712.jpg (26.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 1439086827266.jpg (18.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-31-2016, 09:29 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 740 Wagon

Hey and a much belated welcome. There's plenty of help here. The archives are good. I wouldn't call your purchase a bad decision. I think I would choose ATF over carburretor cleaner. With a glow plug system, ether and carburretor cleaner are not friendly to piston rings.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:59 PM

Vehicle: 1984 Volvo 760
Default Sticky pump idea

I like hearing about ways to undo the effects of sitting in the farmyard for 10-15 years. That's the exact status of mine... As I don't currently have the cash to just drop it off at a diesel mechanic, I am pouring over threads here to learn what I can. There seem to be several skilled and experienced diesel lovers here to share knowledge of builds and parts. Glad to hear your pump is working and it runs! 😃