D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Old 09-13-2013, 06:25 PM

Vehicle: 1982 240GL
Default D24 NA snapped camshaft

Hello, I have a 1982 Volvo 240 GL ( D24 NA) with a snapped camshaft. I bought this car about 8 years ago in this condition from a garage who towed it off the Cross Bronx Expressway. The mechanic from the garage told me that the previous owner claimed that the timing belt and head gasket were just recently installed prior to the failure and they did appear to be intact. The plan was to fix the car, but other things came up. I removed the head, bought a used one with cam on ebay and have the green books. The wife is now threatening to junk it, so I'm determined to get it running. The car has very low miles and the body is in mint condition.

My questions:
1. Can you guys guide me in the right direction on the repair or suggest another site who does non-turbos?

2. Is it possible or feasible to add a turbo to this engine?

The car has been sitting in my garage for about 8 years with the head removed. Today I cleaned the block a little and put some oil in the cylinders. Next I will turn the engine over to determine how far the pistons protrude from the block so i can order the correct head gasket. The gasket that was on there was a 2 notch. If anyone is interested, I could post pics as the job progresses. I would sure appreciate any advice. Thanks, Harry
Old 09-13-2013, 07:57 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Welcome to the forum!

She knows that you`ll have a second wife. I`m glad you ended up here with your dieseling plans. Thanks in advance, for waking up the sleeping monster. Of course we all want to see pictures of the progress!
I`m happy that someone showed up from the hood. I hope you get it running very soon! There`s a `sticky` with HG part numbers, in the `Drivetrain` section of this forum.
Isn`t it a strange feeling to think about it that the car was already 23 years old 8 years ago? but it Will run again. You will find a huge amount of great info here. Good luck and keep us posted!

You`ll find several threads here about revived d24(t) engines that had been sitting for years.
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...engine+runaway

We really want to see the video of your startup!
I would pay serious attention to the timing belt. Not to forget a possible runaway situation caused by a malfunctioning injection pump (too much fuel I guess).
A friend had this issue with his d24t long ago but he managed to avoid damage, he blocked with a rubber mat or something, idk, and then he was very happy because shutting off the car with key did not work and he smoked up his garage like kraZy.
That car actually sat a couple of years before. When put on road again, for a while it just had multiple issues-- stuck rings (terrible smoke, bad starting, low on power, at least one bad glowplug, ip messed up, misadjusted -by him-), way too tight valves, low compression, a constantly clogged fuel filter (dirty fuel used: `HTO`= `household heating diesel`, very low quality as a fuel, very acidic, not filtered and too thick) , peeing nozzles=not spraying nicely, 10W40 regular engine oil, also, ran from a bottle under the hood, etc etc ...ha-ha, you can imagine how bad condition his starter was in. (I used to help pulling him with a rope to get his brick started...m46 power ) If it started, it came with huge white smoke, then a non-stop black when warm. I told him not to play with the fuel screw and get the rear two glowplugs out. What a pile of neglected maintenance...
BUT that car finally ended up being a very nice survivor and I heard it`s still on the road with a fully rebuilt IP and a partially rebuilt motor. It`s a 1987 760gle factory td m46 sedan, I remember only because I had the same year&color (grey) Volvo that time (1996?ohh).

I can`t wait for your pictures!

Last edited by RedArrow; 09-13-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:57 PM

Default Runaway tank

I like going through older d24/d24t postings; found one that`s great to read, just to know how cruel it can be. Thanks, Anders, for sharing the details (but I can`t see any pictures).

http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=kibbles+bits
Old 09-14-2013, 03:06 PM

She knows that you`ll have a second wife. I`m glad you ended up here with your dieseling plans. Thanks in advance, for waking up the sleeping monster. Of course we all want to see pictures of the progress!
I`m happy that someone showed up from the hood. I hope you get it running very soon!

Hey RedArrow, appreciate the warm welcome and the info. Yeah she's a hood rat straight out da BX. Let's hope we can get her up and running like one. I meant the car, not the wife... lol. I will definitely keep you posted with pics and that start-up vid. I'll be off to a slow start as I must do some research and part/tool gathering (only had 8 years to do that). Plus we are now getting into the Fall fishing season...priorities you know.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

There are plenty of members here who are running naturally-aspirated D24's, so despite the site's name, of course the versions without turbochargers are welcomed as well. You'll notice that right next to the big "D24T.COM" logo on the top of this page, there's a picture of a non-turbo D24 sitting there. The motors are mechanically identical in almost every major aspect, so advice and info that applies to the turbos usually applies equally to the NA versions.

It is possible to add a turbo to the NA cars and a IIRC a few around here have done it, but the turbo motors have some internal differences meant to support the turbo and compensate for the additional stresses it creates. No data on the long-term health affects of "plus-T" NA engines; I suspect one can last a long time if the motor is otherwise strong and the driver is careful about using the power and avoiding situations that lead to high EGT. Certainly would be possible to hurt it if the fuel were turned up and the driver was leaning on the pedal frequently for long periods of time, but if executed, tuned, and used appropriately I imagine it could have no long-term detrimental effect. However, if it were me I would probably want to get the motor put back together and all straightened out and running good in stock form before thinking about adding modifications. Makes it easier if you end up having any issues to diagnose after getting it on the road -- limits the scope to what's already there, rather than having to wonder whether you might also have introduced a problem in any of the non-stock components that were added.

One thing -- I would plan on taking a close look ASAP at the front of the crankshaft and timing belt gear and assessing them for damage. Given your description of how the motor failed, I think there is almost 100% likelihood you will find that the timing belt gear slips or spins on the crank. Combination of a broken cam with an intact timing belt more or less guarantees that engine timing slipped somewhere, either front cam sprocket came loose or crank sprocket spun on crank due to insufficient torque on center bolt or missing/loose allen screws securing balancer to crank sprocket. Failure at the crank is much more likely because without special tools it is close to impossible to get enough torque on the center bolt, this is unfortunately a fairly common way for these motors to get hurt. More than likely whoever put that last timing belt and headgasket on is responsible for what happened. You want to be sure to find and fix the cause for what broke it before you get it running with the new head!

Sounds like there's quite a group of members in the Northeast on the site these days, at least a couple in the boroughs of NYC, one or two in Boston, and also a couple I believe in Maryland and maybe in Virginia as well. We have been talking about organizing a meet-up for members here in the Northwest for a long time; maybe about time to think about a gathering back East too? Get enough people together, you guys could have this 240 put together and on the road in a weekend...
Old 09-17-2013, 07:39 PM

v8volvo--Thank you for the sound advice on figuring out what lead to the failure and getting her up and running before considering a turbo mod.

After letting the cylinders soak with PB Blaster for a few days I decided to see if I could turn the motor. First thing I noticed was that the crank nut was practically hand-tight. Well, I can say for sure it's probably torqued beyond spec by now as the motor would not budge (stuck rings I figured). I'm sure I came close to snapping something, so I stopped and added more Blaster and let it sit over night. Still wouldn't budge this morning, so i broke out a dead blow hammer and a 5 pound sledge, striking the dead blow with the sledge on the pistons-voila. Got it turned to TDC, got my measurements and ordered the 2-notch head gasket, M12 head bolts and other gaskets.

Checking out the old head and scavenging the injectors etc... I noticed that the larger valve on #2 cylinder was stuck open-bent I guess. So between that, the intact belt and the loose nut (not the one behind the wheel lol) on the crank, I suppose the failure story is told.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:59 PM

Default East coast volvo diesel meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
... if it were me I would probably want to get the motor put back together and all straightened out and running good in stock form before thinking about adding modifications. ... Makes it easier if you end up having any issues... TRUE

...Sounds like there's quite a group of members in the Northeast on the site these days, at least a couple in the boroughs of NYC, one or two in Boston, and also a couple I believe in Maryland and maybe in Virginia as well. We have been talking about organizing a meet-up for members here in the Northwest for a long time; maybe about time to think about a gathering back East too?
Great idea!

I`ve also been thinking about a Diesel-party or a `d24t drive` somewhere. I would love to share info& see other diesel Volvos.
East coast members, let me know if any of you have a good idea about possible location(s). Hurry, the weather gets nasty around November.

Last edited by RedArrow; 09-17-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:39 PM

Yes it is a great idea. I'll probably be a little late to the party considering mine is still in pieces. It'll be great to get out there to socialize her once she's up and running though.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:12 AM
Supporting Member

Default damage that can happen from sitting/runaway

Before you start the engine I would check out the injection pump, I can almost guarantee it will malfunction. You might be okay if the fuel lines where never removed (high pressure delivery, fuel supply and return) But if those have been removed and the injection pump has been sitting moisture finds it's way in and will rust the flyweight/ governor. I would pull the top cover off the IP and check it out.
Here are some pictures of the kibble and bits engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0470.jpg (92.8 KB, 23 views)
Shipments done on fridays!

1982 242 D24+T/M46- Super pumped! Build thread:
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1545
1984 764 D24T/ZF build thread: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1734
Diesel parts cars: 82 244,83 244, 84 244, 84 245, 85 745
Old 09-19-2013, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the IP advice, Anders. Wow, those pieces/parts look like they experienced a high order detonation. I'm looking on eBay for timing tools but can't determine what if any can be used on my IP. can you recommend a specific model and site for these tools? I really just need the dial indicator and holder but some mention 5mm or 3/8 shank size. The one I have in mind is on eBay item #111153009562 (can't post link from phone) by el Paso Tool but just now noticed it's with 8mm shank. They all mention which engines they're for but never D24.

Also, is it possible that the timing is already set from the last time it was in service since it hasn't been touched? Would it be risky to try starting the engine before I can set with the tools so long as everything is aligned?

Than you