D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Old 11-19-2017, 10:10 AM

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 745
Exclamation Hello from Canada!

Hello brick lovers,

my name is Louis, I live in Canada. I am a new member on this forum and I recently bought my first volvo. It's a 1985 Volvo 745 d24t and of course the engine need love. I finished my studies in diesel truck and my goal is to rebuild the engine and run it for several years again (until they ban diesel lol). I have few greenbook service manual for the d24t. I am also planning to swap m46 from a 240 gasser.

Any tips or info is appreciate!!

Follow my project : http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1845

1985 volvo 745 gle

Last edited by volvo_d24t; 03-18-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:18 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Car looks good

Welcome to the forum! For some reason our members are much less active than before. But, You'll find great info here and answers to most of your questions using the advanced search function.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:11 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_d24t View Post
I would like to hear all of your personal experience to rebuild the engine and D24 in general. I know it depends of wear, but did you needed to rebore the cylinder with oversize piston or simply new ring set... Doing overhaul, would you suggest me to change everything in new? (crankshaft bearing, valve, connecting rod bearings, etc..)
Good that you have the greenbook. There you will find the specs required for deciding which parts need replacing or overhauled. It is a matter of measurement and inspection. Otherwise how do you know you will need crankshaft bearing, valve, connecting rod bearings, etc.? The bottom end on these engines are usually robust. The more common problems are head warpage from overheating, piston/valve collision from broken timing belt or improper repair (insufficient tightening of crankshaft pulley).

What are the symptoms that make you think you need a complete overhaul? I see lots of black smoke in the first photo, but that might be caused by incorrect IP tuning or timing.

ZF 4HP22L is a good match for the D24T. M46 can get better fuel economy, but would require D24T style bellhousing, pilot brg., clutch, pressure plate, throwout brg., etc. And pedals, cable, mount, driveshaft. And shifter, shifter cage, rubber and leather boots, OD wiring and relay.

If the automatic is working good I would leave it in there.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:21 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Welcome to the forum! For some reason our members are much less active than before. But, You'll find great info here and answers to most of your questions using the advanced search function.
Thank you! I agree that there is a lot of helpful information on the forum, unfortunately some pictures are no more hosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Good that you have the greenbook. There you will find the specs required for deciding which parts need replacing or overhauled. It is a matter of measurement and inspection. Otherwise how do you know you will need crankshaft bearing, valve, connecting rod bearings, etc.? The bottom end on these engines are usually robust. The more common problems are head warpage from overheating, piston/valve collision from broken timing belt or improper repair (insufficient tightening of crankshaft pulley).

What are the symptoms that make you think you need a complete overhaul? I see lots of black smoke in the first photo, but that might be caused by incorrect IP tuning or timing.

ZF 4HP22L is a good match for the D24T. M46 can get better fuel economy, but would require D24T style bellhousing, pilot brg., clutch, pressure plate, throwout brg., etc. And pedals, cable, mount, driveshaft. And shifter, shifter cage, rubber and leather boots, OD wiring and relay.

If the automatic is working good I would leave it in there.
Hello & thanks for the info!

I may keep the automatic transmission for a while, but i'm still interested to swap it manual with a m46. What about the transmission mount, is the same as the one on a 740 gasser?

I will be looking to buy these parts:
- N/A intake
- D24T bellhousing
- Flywheel
- http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...tch-ring/2201/

if anyone have those parts for sale please PM me

Last edited by volvo_d24t; 12-01-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:31 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_d24t View Post
Thank you! I agree that there is a lot of helpful information on the forum, unfortunately some pictures are no more hosted
You are probably referring to Photobucket's (successful?) ransom attempt for payment to them to maintain weblinks for photos. Agreed that it's a major impediment. I spent some time trying to find a workaround, got stuck in Github, then gave up for the time being. Supposedly there's a solution for Chrome browser users?

Currently recommend uploading photos directly to D24T.com with the manage attachments option, then insert them into the post via the attachments (paperclip icon) button. IIRC, there's a limit of 5 per post.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:54 PM

I have a complete manual trans here with electric O/D unit. Open to offers. Located near Kitchener, Ontario.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:14 AM

Vehicle: 1980 volvo

Hi. I would watch for a total parts car to do the swap but not until sure the car/engine is working great and the car is good enough to put that kind of work into. Looks great. Paul
Old 02-14-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
I have a complete manual trans here with electric O/D unit. Open to offers. Located near Kitchener, Ontario.
I am interested! send me you email address in PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashed54 View Post
Hi. I would watch for a total parts car to do the swap but not until sure the car/engine is working great and the car is good enough to put that kind of work into. Looks great. Paul

I have already bought few parts for it. I want to completely rebuild my engine. Rebore with oversize piston, rebuild cylinder head, rod bearing, new turbo, resealed injection pump(maybe 12mm pump head) , ARP headstud, Bosch GTD nozzles, N/A intake and complete m46 swap. I have a muanal pedal assembly, gasket set and I bought some parts from Anders on this forum

Last edited by volvo_d24t; 03-10-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:58 PM

Still have that gearbox with the O/D unit if you're interested. Email me.