D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGTF View Post
I must pull it a apart because the first cylinder doesn't moving up and down,
Tell us again how you tested this? Explain your method better if you can. Because it looks like you put something in the pre chamber and rotated the engine to see if the piston would move the (whatever you put in the pre chamber) up and down.

The base of the pre chamber separates the pre chamber from the piston, except for a small hole. Were you actually able to get the (whatever you put in the pre chamber) to go thru the injector hole, thru the pre chamber, thru the small hole in the base of the pre chamber, to actually contact the top of the piston? I don't think it is a straight shot.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:08 PM

You can't feel the top of the piston through the hole for injector anyways, you could try glow plug hole but its at such an angle you will only feel it top out. I'm sure it's pumping if the cars running
Old 05-04-2010, 02:40 PM

if you wanted to get real technical you could buy a boroscope camera and drop it down into the glowplug hole and physically see the piston top out
Old 05-04-2010, 07:41 PM

yea or you could just check the compression
Old 05-06-2010, 01:22 PM

Default Update off the info

Thanks for the info,

I find out that i really need a micro meter for the diesel pump, I've ordered the micro meter and half may it must be delivered so until than just be patient

Greets Tom,
Old 05-13-2010, 01:49 PM

In the workshop in around 1994 a Golf GTI 1.8 came in after the owner changed the timing belt. It had half the power it should and barely ran below 2000 rpm, smoked black and backfired too.
I assumed that he had messed up the timing marks when doing the job himself, (although he insisted he had done it by the book)
I removed the timing belt, set the flywheel marker to T.D.C, aligned the cam pully marks correctly and adjusted the distributor (intermediate shaft) marks correctly.
Guess what , it ran like s**t, i had made the same assumptions as the cars owner.
A dial gauge through the plug hole revealed the FACTORY marks on the flywheel to be nearly 30degrees BTDC not TDC .
I re-marked the flywheel for tdc and strobe timing and built it up, the result was a happy owner and a happy golf (rabbit in the usa) motor car.
Ever since i have always checked for TDC with the dial gauge when changing a timing belt . But so far this was the only case i have come across in hundreds of cars .
The golf flywheel has an aysemetric bolt pattern so it cannot be fitted wrongly, i has to have been a mis-stamp on the production line, i assume they make d24 flywheels in a similar foundery in germany or wherever so there you are,cheers and thanks for reading my rambles , fudge