D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-13-2018, 11:33 AM
ngoma ngoma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 636
Default

Interesting. Did you find the remains of the 2 broken oil squirters in the oil pan?
__________________
1985 744 gle d24t
1985 745 gle d24t
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-13-2018, 01:36 PM
volvo_d24t volvo_d24t is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Canada
Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 745
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Interesting. Did you find the remains of the 2 broken oil squirters in the oil pan?
No I didn't. lol
________________________

Few more progress, this time on the car. Stripped the interior to see the floors condition. A bit of work needed on the driver floor pan, but overall is clean and solid. There is rust under rear passenger door trim, but a friend gave me another door to replace it. Otherwise, I want to make this wagon my 'first' little camper and do road trips across the America. I will make a homemade interior and customize it over time.

At the same time, I would also like to replace the heater core but it seems a pain to do. Anyone know a good tutorial or have tips for me before I remove everything? lol














Last edited by volvo_d24t; 05-13-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-13-2018, 11:23 PM
ngoma ngoma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_d24t View Post
I would also like to replace the heater core but it seems a pain to do. Anyone know a good tutorial or have tips for me before I remove everything? lol
Volvo 700/900 Heater Core Replacement

Don't forget the long 1/4" drive socket extensions for getting at those hidden screws on the top of the heater core box, LOL.

Might as well redo the flapper doors adhesive foam weatherstripping insulations while you are in there, LOL

Beware of "project creep." LOL
__________________
1985 744 gle d24t
1985 745 gle d24t
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-17-2018, 12:59 PM
v8volvo v8volvo is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MT
Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764
Posts: 1,007
Default

Looks like great progress on engine and the new head.

I saw broken piston squirters once before and that was on an engine where someone rebuilt it and used non-turbo pistons, which do not have the notches in the piston skirts to clear the squirters. The skirts had been (crudely) notched by hand with a file or Dremel tool, and on some of them the notches were not deep enough so they chopped the squirter nozzles off. They were found lying in the pan on that motor. The other squirters that had not broken off had dents from contact with the pistons. Any sign on yours (the intact ones) that something similar happened or evidence of "custom" piston modification?

If they broke off on yours a long time ago and the pieces were relatively small they might have found their way into the bottom of the sump and eventually came out during an oil change.

Replacement squirters aren't too hard to find, I may have a few floating around and Anders probably has many also. Definitely want to get six good ones in the engine.

Body looks pretty good for Canada. The 700 series is much more resistant to rust than the 200 or many other cars of the era, no coincidence since Volvo emphasized it. Sounds like it will be a nice car for the road when it's finished.
__________________
1986 745 D24T/ZF
1983 764 D24T/M46
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-28-2018, 03:59 PM
volvo_d24t volvo_d24t is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Canada
Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 745
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Looks like great progress on engine and the new head.

I saw broken piston squirters once before and that was on an engine where someone rebuilt it and used non-turbo pistons, which do not have the notches in the piston skirts to clear the squirters. The skirts had been (crudely) notched by hand with a file or Dremel tool, and on some of them the notches were not deep enough so they chopped the squirter nozzles off. They were found lying in the pan on that motor. The other squirters that had not broken off had dents from contact with the pistons. Any sign on yours (the intact ones) that something similar happened or evidence of "custom" piston modification?

If they broke off on yours a long time ago and the pieces were relatively small they might have found their way into the bottom of the sump and eventually came out during an oil change.

Replacement squirters aren't too hard to find, I may have a few floating around and Anders probably has many also. Definitely want to get six good ones in the engine.

Body looks pretty good for Canada. The 700 series is much more resistant to rust than the 200 or many other cars of the era, no coincidence since Volvo emphasized it. Sounds like it will be a nice car for the road when it's finished.
Thank you for the support I appreciate!!

If I don't find any squirters i'll let you know

_____________________________________

Finally the block is at the machinist.

Cylinder walls are fine at first sight. 0,5mm oversize rebore should be enough. Main bearing are fine, but I might change them for the peace of mind. New idler pulley.





Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-09-2018, 06:23 PM
volvo_d24t volvo_d24t is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Canada
Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 745
Posts: 23
Default

More pictures of the machinist shop. First quick wash of the block.







Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-17-2018, 07:01 PM
RedArrow RedArrow is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NY
Vehicle: 740
Posts: 531
Default

I love seeing them freshly painted "John Deere industrial green"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.