D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2017, 04:24 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Disassembly of 1984 d24

This motor came out of a Volvo 1984 240 blue color 3speed automatic usa edition sedan that was bought by a friend then swapped. The car received a Ford 302 engine instead of the diesel d24 nonturbo it had in the factory.
I will ask him to provide all details in case someone is interested to know. Also I heard that by now the swapped car is running well and it recently was offered for sale but Idk much about the build yet.

The future d24 power did not sound satisfying to the PO; or/and they didn't have the d24 specific tools to start with and couldnt manage to get it started at all...so it had to go. Also they did not have a diesel volvo before.
The d24 and bw55 tranny etc almost ended up junked but I bought it and picked them up in time.
Part of the story that he wanted cash asap PLUS a sixpack of Pabst BEER that was extremely hard to find in Long Island (and/because it was a holiday too) but I managed to get a 12pack instead so the motor came with the Greenbook manual and the radiator and some of the diesel related leftover parts.

Long story short, I bought it and took it home for a huge clean-up then a partial disassembly followed soon after (appr 2.5y ago).
The d24 was completely misadjusted but after all necessary precautions and inspections, proper timing, valves, electrics and fluids, injectors, glowplugs, fuel system clean-up, ip flush, belts etc... it started and finally was running smooth. It got painted by the dude who swapped the Ford in... in the colors of the German flag, respecting German VW engineeering. But as I said, they weren't successful starting it and gave up.

It ran nicely after it got very well adjusted but the results of *previous* improper ownership and/or lack of skilled maintenance both left marks inside and outside this engine.

It ran quite smoothly and i had a cooling system set up for it so I could have it running for a period of time for check ups and adjustments. It always started easily and Im guessing it had good compression and a good chance being very rebuildable but time will tell.

At the last start-up I had, I noticed bubbles sent through the coolant to the expansion reservoir so then, for safety, it was left "idling" on the engine stand for appr 2yrs with the exception of getting started for a quick minute, a few times every 3-5 months.

Let's see later what condition the cylinder head is in.

Is it going to be a fun project motor or a boring parts donor?
Disassembly started...
Here's a few pictures...stay tuned for the news... and let's hope the head is still flat enough.

Here is the video of the very first start up (not much manual bleeding happened lol)
https://youtu.be/7oz-8qPDv4U
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-11-22-08-10-43.jpg (28.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-11-22-08-11-09.jpg (25.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-11-22-08-11-26.jpg (24.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-11-22-08-11-55.jpg (11.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-11-22-08-12-26.jpg (30.5 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 11-22-2017 at 05:10 AM.