D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to sdturbo

What kind of dose of ATF? I will run it up and down the street a few times on my lunch break tomorrow on the gallon can still just to see if it keeps clearing up. Still seems like the boost/fuel regulator "space ship" isnt doing a whole lot. Id expect to see a little black smoke under wot. Maybe I have been driving moded diesels too much.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:28 PM

Ran some ATF through it, seems a lot better. Going faster than I can safely go in the industrial park. Suppose ill hook the fuel tank back up and maybe take it on an outing tomorrow
Old 09-28-2012, 10:20 PM

The ATF really did the trick. It runs a LOT better now but it has to be warmed up or its just not happy. Its by no means fast (think air cooled vw bus) but it moves down the road. Timing belts and injector pop test tomorrow and then ill tweak the pump.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:40 PM

ATF did some majic, runs a lot better now. Full throttle of the pump seems to happen and power under boost. Still aircooled vw bus slow but enough power to get around. Some pump adjustments will have to happen for fwy action but timing belts and timing first. Thanks for all the help
Old 09-28-2012, 10:45 PM

ATF did some majic, runs a lot better now. Full throttle of the pump seems to happen and power under boost. Still aircooled vw bus slow but enough power to get around. Some pump adjustments will have to happen for fwy action but timing belts and timing first. Thanks for all the help
Old 09-30-2012, 04:35 PM

Well the ATF made a huge difference but its not ideal. I decided continuing without doing the timing belt and injection timing was a bad idea. I pulled it apart today and and got held up with needing a new water pump (looks like it came off the titanic). Decided to pull the injectors and inspect them. First thing i noticed is the main fuel screw was screwed in to the collar, and the boost source looks to be nearly bottomed out. Weird considering this thing does not smoke AT ALL under boost. Ok time to look at the injectors, they look to have brand new Bosch 293 nozzles in them. Something is up, this thing should be making a good deal more power than it is and should smoke like a freight train at WOT. What am I missing?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 AM

Been messing with the injectors. They have 293 nozzles in them but when i pop test them they open at 1900psi or so. Seems more like NA pop pressure, might explain the lack of power under boost.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:42 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdturbo View Post
Been messing with the injectors. They have 293 nozzles in them but when i pop test them they open at 1900psi or so. Seems more like NA pop pressure, might explain the lack of power under boost.
Yes that is a tiny bit below NA spec. You want ~2250 Psi
Main screw to the collar is the factory no-smoke setting, you have to alter/remove it and go deeper.
Any update?

Last edited by 745 TurboGreasel; 11-07-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:50 PM

I think even higher is a bit better especially if you raise the boost/fuel. Mine were set at 2400psi (by Tom Bryant who rebuilt them for me).
Old 11-08-2012, 06:32 AM

I am very interested in this thread as I too planned to put a D24T into a Discovery about 4 years ago but I didn't do it. I reasoned that the power and torque curve of the D24T were not what the Disco needed with the stock ratios and that it would be a dog to drive so I backed out of the idea.

Instead I went to the UK and bought a 300tdi with 5 speed manual from a UK Disco as it is a drop in and very easy swap. Only had to change 2 engine mounts and everything else bolted in.

As an engine I like the D24T better but the 300tdi has more torque and lower rpm's. Been running it for about 2 years now and quite happy with it. About 23 mpg and will cruise 75-80 on the freeway, with a/c.

I assume you swapped the Volvo ZF 4HP22 bellhousing and torque convertor onto the Land Rover transmission? You would need to use the valve block and governor from the Volvo tranny too, to get the gear changes at the right rpm's. All fun stuff. Watch out for the governor sticking (have to drive round the block with the engine singing to get the first change)

I hope all goes well. Probably with a tuned up engine it will work nicely. I was just working with stock figures when I backed out of the idea.

Steve