Old 07-19-2009, 01:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to cuaz64

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceV_760 View Post
Mm i got really wild idea..
You know, there is plenty of space on left of the motor, just
battery and thats it..
Idea would be to buy bonnet from some junkyard car of same model serie,
then add intercooler diagonally to that free psace, cut on the spare bonnet an rift where it would get cooling air and make scoop there, and to underside of intercooler add radioator to suck air on low speeds..
Who knows, this would prevent for moving radiator back
You are really crazy!
Old 07-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Owner/admin

The new turbo is quite different in how it spools compaired to the stock turbo... From idle up to around 2000 rpm, it doesn't do much, where as the stock turbo was already making boost. However, once it is around 2500 rpm and begins to spool, it spools faster from 10 psi on up. The stock turbo was more linear in its increase in boost, the new turbo goes up slow to around 10, then will slam the needle to whatever boost setting it is waste gated at. Also, on the highway, I can push around 15lbs of boost at 3k rpm with the converter locked and the pedal down to the detent before kickdown. With the same fueling, the stock turbo wouldn't make more than 10lbs of boost at 3k rpm.

Its a huge improvement overall, but I'm looking for a .48 A/R exhaust housing, as I think it would have better low end spool up without hurting the top end too much. If it was a manual, it would probably be less noticeable, but the stall speed of the stock converter pretty much holds it at to low of an rpm to build any decent boost untill you get going a little bit (if you floor it from a stop). Also, with the bigger housing I cant build barely any boost if I brake torque it. However once your are rolling, and get into it, the car is totally different compaired to the stock turbo...

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 07-19-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuaz64 View Post
You are really crazy!
You could build an heat-protection plate also between engine and intercooler,
just drill hole where you will take ic pipes throught. Im now really thinking about this,
it would be _easiest_ way to do, and would give some respect on cities when people see you have scoop on that brick. Look for picture about "d24tic intake manifold" its quite different than d24 or d24t intake manifold, and would make piping easy from that diagonally placed intercooler. Have to go and take some numbers, but volvo 850 intercooler pipes would be on right positions, and you can get this intercooler with metal heads as spare part/ second-hand made copy which will flow better than original.
Well ill post about this crazy idea, i think i would really go for that since im lazy to move radiator and drill holes on metal which holds lights to get ic pipes throught.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:49 AM

By using my meter, it would be possible to fit 400x300, 500x350 or 350x450 total size intercooler on lenght and width, and there would be something like 120mm minimum space on thickness of IC, so 76mm IC +50mm electric fan would fit if youre not attaching it straight to the cars nose.
Interesting. And insane.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:20 AM

Wow, there IS second hand intercooler for sale which would fit to that place

Got to think, will i be lazy and rape some volvos bonnet or bother to do it "right" way.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:42 AM

Cmoon look at this! This would fit under bonnet of 700series!
No radiator moving or any other shit required, just go buy spare bonnet if you dont dare to cut your own. And electric fan under ic to suck air on low speeds.
Then build heat protection plate between engine and ic, and maybe raise the bonnet from back a little to give some space to IC so you can turn backside of it more up so more air would pass it.

Im really thinking this now, this seems to be king idea

Any comments/toughts about this ( not the one im crazy )
Old 07-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Owner/admin

I started to do this on the other side of the engine, with an Audi TDI intercooler. I was going to route the intake somewhere else, as the stock intake box is huge. Came to the conclussion that there wouldn't be much airflow potential even if you cut out the bottom of that area in front of the fender well (where the windshield washer resivoir sits). I don't think mounting one up front would be that big a deal. As you said, using one of the ebay ones... You can get them wide and not very tall, so they could be easily fit behind the front air dam. If you get it to work though, post up some pics, it should be an interesting install.

Jason

Old 07-20-2009, 09:03 AM

I will call tomorrow to special shop.
I believe there is potential to get enough airflow, since under IC wouldnt be either anything so it would be possible to construct air-flow "jig".
But remember, i run AC too so it would be anyways behind AC cooler, so i believe airflow would be pretty much same, and under 200 horsepowers that will be for sure enough, and that would give interesting opinion to add water/meth injection pump right on the mouth of scoop, where the incoming airflow would broke it to chim mist. And there we got atleast same cooling effect as with normal install.
Think about possiblities to unite the power of combining ic+water/meth injectors together, and to water/meth installation this would be optimal assemble place.
Think about it Jason?

Edited typos.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Owner/admin

To me, the problem is where the air is going to exit off the intercooler... I guess it can go down around the engine. If it works for you, great! To me it looks easier to mount a long short one behind the front air dam. I also don't have access to a stock D24Tic manifold here in the states, so my plumbing is going to be quite different.

As I said, post up pictures! Not that I don't think it will work, I just think a front mount would be less work thats all...

Jason

Old 07-20-2009, 11:17 PM

Well, ive been searching d24tic intake manifold now for about month without succes
Not even single piece on any junkyard nor any person doesnt seem to own.
That long and short before front air dam ( am i right do you mean the "spoiler" where optional fog lights are also attached? ) would be my second option, but where to get pipes through? "backbone" bars come really nastily on way..
But there it would get alot of air.