D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2011, 01:34 AM

Is there a difference between Petrol and Diesel style straight through mufflers? Have you got a link to one?

Just been having a read up on Bosch VE adjustments. This site actually explains quite well:
http://www.fourwd.org.uk/bosch_ve.html

Mine doesn't seem to smoke under full boost, but does seem to smoke at wide throttle low revs, and just before the turbo spools, so does that sound like my smoke screw needs backing off a bit? I'm also only getting 27MPG (UK gallons) for town/motorway/country lanes - doesn't seem to change. Was closer to 30MPG before I upped the max fuel screw a turn.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:47 PM

Vehicle: ´89 760 GLE, D24TIC, ZF 4HP22

Hi, I plan to make a new 2,5" stainless steel exhaust for my tic, but I want it as quiet as possible, so it's better to give the muffler on the back of system or to the center section like ian or this guy http://www.fourwd.org.uk/exhausts.html ? I plan to use Simons muffler
Old 12-25-2012, 04:54 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

More pipe after the muffler will silence more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The brass one in the post above is what you want.n As for boost, I wound't go above 20 psi without having head studs. Anywhere from 15 to 20lbs of boost and the fueling to go with it will be a big increase in power. Shouldn't have any affect on mileage at all, unless you are holding it on the floor all the time. Cruising along on the highway the fuel going into the engine is the same if the pump is turned up or stock calibration. It all depends on how heavy your foot is. Did you do some kind of exhaust mods to help it breathe a little better?

Jason
I've been using a ball and spring for a few years.
It feels like it cost me a little MPG, as at freeway speed, I'm load dependent at 8-14 PSI, creating needless heat and backpressure.
Without, it wold be more like 5-9PSI driving on almost flat ground
The difference in milage isn't great, but I think a 2 stage setup that allowed low boost on light throttle could net some economy improvement.
The MPG difference wasn't enough to motivate me to build that.