D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 10-18-2018, 10:04 AM

Default thermostat gasket

hi all
my stat was leaking so got one from main dealer with gasket im concerned about the new gasket its thicker than the old gaskets ive replaced and has a groove in it so different fit . the groove allows the gasket to go round the outer edge of the stat but then it will not fit into the housing has any one had this before urgent help please !!!!!!
Old 10-18-2018, 10:36 AM
Supporting Member

Seems like yours came with the wrong gasket. I have the dimensions of the correct one, you should be able to get at an o-ring supplier, let's see if I can find it.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:42 AM
Supporting Member

Got it. Simple round section o-ring.
Dimensions:
60mm ID
3.3mm thick.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:23 PM

Default thermostat o ring

thanks nagoma
just spoke to a frying he says volvo changed the gasket design to a square gasket with a groove in it about 1995 because of leaking problem have you heard of this i put the gasket on the stat with the groove it makes the stat a mil or so bigger all round so i can't get it into the block housing as the outer edge of the bare metal stat virtually touches the cast block if you get what im try to say .
regards jim
Old 10-18-2018, 09:10 PM
Supporting Member

Did you clean real good the recess in the housing? Wire brush, emory cloth?
Old 10-19-2018, 02:50 AM

Default thermostat ring

yes ngoma
gave the housing a good cleaning with 800 grit emery paper i just put the old gasket back as its not been on long used a bit of hylomar sealant applied it just to the aluminium outer housing . will be putting coolant back when the sealant cures a bit wish me luck . what part of the world are you in ? im in stoke on trent england
Old 10-19-2018, 09:05 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

You may want to STOP for a moment and make sure this is right before you put it back together. Can you post a picture of the thermostat and gasket you bought, or post the part number from the box?

Remember this thermostat is an AUDI part and Volvo plays no role in manufacturing or engineering it. Even the tstats sold by the Volvo dealer are repackaged VW/Audi parts.
You probably received a thermostat and gasket by mistake that is for a GASOLINE Volvo engine since those do use a grooved gasket that goes around the perimeter of the thermostat. In that case not only is the gasket wrong but the thermostat may be wrong also. If the thermostat is for the wrong temperature or doesn't function the right way, have the correct block-off dimensions, etc, it will cause serious problems.

The friend you spoke to is wrong, the thermostat gasket for the DIESEL engines never has changed and continues to use an o-ring that sits outboard of the thermostat. The GAS engines do now use the style you described. Your friend might not have been aware that the gas and diesel engines in these cars have no parts or designs in common.

Rather than trying to make something work with sealant you should ensure you have the correct parts. Can you give us more info on the thermostat you have?

Don't run the car with this thermostat in it until you have confirmed that it is correct.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:38 AM

Default thermostat

thanks for your valued comments V8VOLVO the volvo part number is 273728 . it came from main dealer via classic parts from sweden . i will take your comments up with the dealer the stat is 87c so im sure thats ok . but it is a little different than the old original one it is the same overall diameter i art sure how to send photos on here but i can email them . thats very interesting regarding the gasket i now have i agree there no way i can fit that gasket into the block my email is jimliddy1@gmail.com will be very happy to send you photos what ive got
do you have the vw part number to see if they can help
regards jim
Old 10-19-2018, 03:55 PM
Supporting Member

Default Attaching Photos

Attaching Photos
Old 10-20-2018, 12:00 AM

Default thermostat

just update
the dealer is ordering another gasket he has told me they do not have any details of the gasket and only go on the part number of the O ring i will let you know what i get when it arrives .
after fitting the old O ring yesterday which was 2 years old and i did use a bit of sealant to the outer housing there are no leaks this morning .good to report .
regards jim