D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 03-08-2018, 11:27 AM

Vehicle: 740 2.4 TD GLE 1986
Default WG Actuator - Supposed to leak?

Hi Guys.

I have been searching this forum for info on the ol' T3 our cars are equipped with. It is the one with two hoses on the actuator.

In the process of tracking down the reason why the D24+T has lost a bit of boost lately, I descided to "pressure test" the actuator. It can not hold the pressure. Is that how it is supposed to be? It is the two-hose kind, so maybe it has to be like this.

/Dennis
Old 04-09-2018, 06:48 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

As far as I know it should not leak down, although it would be interesting to test a few and see what is normal. If it leaks off slowly then it may not be a major issue but if the pressure drops rapidly or it cannot hold more than a few PSI then it may be the reason for the boost loss. A leak in the small hose running from the compressor housing to the actuator would also cause this, so check that hose well. The larger hose that runs from the bottom of the actuator to the turbo air inlet is an oil drain to remove oil accumulated in the actuator canister and circulate it back into the intake stream. In other words that hose does not have a critical role for the turbo's performance, other than creating a large oil leak if it fails.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:43 AM

The problem is solved. I finally found the problem. I have never seen it before on these old turbos, but a part of the wastegate-flap has come off So thats why the boost was missing.

I found a replacement turbo, from a 940 D24TIC. Its another type, so a had to redo some of the plumbing. A funny thing is that i had problems with the oil feed line. The original one was in the way of the WG actuator. No problem! Because I got the oilfeed from the 940 turbo. But that did not fit at all! Quite strange, so to make it work (on a sunday, with no possibility to get other parts) I had to make another bracket for the actuator, and lengthen the rod.

Old one on the left.

Before modification.

After.

/Dennis
Old 08-14-2018, 07:16 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Well that would do it.

Interesting the D24TIC turbo appears to use a different external WG setup. Did you need to reclock the cold side on the turbo as well to fit for the D24T?

IIRC the D24TIC motors also have a different oil cooler and oil filter mount so that may explain the oil feed line fitment trouble.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:25 AM

Yes, I had to reclock it. The "factory setting" for the D24TIC is shown on the first picture at 3#, so I had to clock it like the old one on the left, so my own plumbing/intercooler setup would fit.

I am a bit confused about the oil filter mount, because (as I remember it...) the D24T and D24TIC mount were the same, according to VADIS. I have just bought an old D24TIC, from a former Volvo 960 Taxi. The block and head seems to come from a VW LT... But I will try to compare them, when I get the D24TIC thrown in the engine-stand.