D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 11-24-2018, 08:01 AM

Default water pump

hi all
my water pump has been on the car 110000 miles now its genuine volvo how long should it be before its replaced . woud you go for genuine again or where woud you go for a replacement
regards jim
Old 12-30-2020, 09:25 AM

Vehicle: 1982 245-GL D6, 1982 244-GL D6

I am also curious about the maintenance interval for the water pump; can anyone chime-in?
Old 12-30-2020, 12:58 PM
Supporting Member

Last I checked, Brickwerx sold good quality WPs. Cast impellers, nice machining. They also had the version with smaller diameter cog pulley (overdrive) for those that are concerned with overheating at low RPM/high load situations.

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t4-part...t4-aab-96.html

Why not change the WP at the TB change interval? Makes sense from a maintenance procedure efficiency viewpoint. Sometimes that's when the WP o-ring gasket is about to give up anyway. Otherwise it's a shame to have to open up and bend the TB cover to change out the WP by itself.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:14 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default WP life expectancy

Another question is, just for the sake of logic about wear, in connection with driven miles and years of driving.

Would you ever reuse a waterpump in a d24/d24t engine?

For example,
let`s say the belt is 5-8-10 years old (and service is due) but the car ran only let`s say 1-10000miles or something that`s not much... (not 50k-80k-100k etc).
When do these WPs wear out (?), if at all; and after how many miles would you say that the WP itself should be replaced `no matter what`?

Obviously the waterpump o-ring/gasket/seal would be replaced but how about the waterpump itself?

What`s the absolute maximum you would risk running the waterpump for? (IN MILES driven, not years of service--- let`s say the belt is done every 60k)...what miles and (how many yrs) can you expect out of let`s say a proper best quality WP?
Old 12-30-2020, 03:18 PM

Vehicle: 1982 245-GL D6, 1982 244-GL D6

My car has about 150,000 miles.
Timing belt was done about 10,000 miles ago.
No idea on the service history prior to my ownership, so I am unsure if the water pump was ever maintained.
Car sat for a number of years before I purchased it.

Would it be wise to replace the pump sooner-than-later for preventive maintenance?

I have a NOS Volvo pump sitting on the shelf.

Is this the smaller diameter cog version?
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t4-part...-cylinder.html
Old 12-30-2020, 06:57 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Would you ever reuse a waterpump in a d24/d24t engine?
Yes I have, in a similar situation to what you state.

WP started leaking, TB was close enough to replacement interval, had access to timing tools for a limited amount of time, had a known good used good quality WP available, no chance of obtaining a new WP in time.

Turns out it was the large o-ring WP gasket that was leaking, but the "new" used WP looked better than what was in there so used it.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:10 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselScout View Post
Would it be wise to replace the pump sooner-than-later for preventive maintenance?
Too bad you didn't replace the WP when you did the TB 10k miles ago (if that was you). If I'm going to open up the TB covers and bend the sheetmetal, I'd just as soon replace the TB at the same time.

In my experience, they start leaking slowly, for quite some time. More often, it is the large o-ring gasket that leaks.

Are you planning any long-distance trips where a failing WP would create more of a problem, leave you stranded far away?

Quote:
I have a NOS Volvo pump sitting on the shelf.
Do you also have the o-ring gasket?

Quote:
Is this the smaller diameter cog version?
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t4-part...-cylinder.html
IDK, is that the same one I linked to above?
Old 01-01-2021, 08:39 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Am I right in remembering seeing somewhere in a Volvo spec to replace the WP O-ring if changing a belt on a car with more than 75k miles, to avoid future leaks? But I don't think there was any further comment than that on the lifespan of the pump itself.

Would be interesting to see what the spec is for WP interval on similar engines, the Audi gas and diesel 5cyl types, Porsche 924 4cyl type, etc.

Volvo seems like it was very adventurous in its service interval recommedations on the D24/T -- I think because it was trying to advertise much lower maintenance cost alternative as a major selling point of the diesel option vs the gas engines -- with ideas such as the 7500 mile oil change interval (with oil filter recommended only every other time, LOL), which was revised down to 5k miles later, and the 75,000 mile timing belt interval, despite VW/Audi recommending shorter OCI and a 60k timing belt lifespan for literally the exact same belt parts. Maybe if VW/Audi had a water pump recommended interval, Volvo chose not to publish it.

Regardless does seem like hard to justify not replacing it at the belt interval, given the inconvenience as noted of having to replace it independently later, and of course also the risk to the timing belt if the pump bearing failed mechanically.