D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 11-22-2017, 04:24 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Disassembly of 1984 d24

This motor came out of a Volvo 1984 240 blue color 3speed automatic usa edition sedan that was bought by a friend then swapped. The car received a Ford 302 engine instead of the diesel d24 nonturbo it had in the factory.
I will ask him to provide all details in case someone is interested to know. Also I heard that by now the swapped car is running well and it recently was offered for sale but Idk much about the build yet.

The future d24 power did not sound satisfying to the PO; or/and they didn't have the d24 specific tools to start with and couldnt manage to get it started at all...so it had to go. Also they did not have a diesel volvo before.
The d24 and bw55 tranny etc almost ended up junked but I bought it and picked them up in time.
Part of the story that he wanted cash asap PLUS a sixpack of Pabst BEER that was extremely hard to find in Long Island (and/because it was a holiday too) but I managed to get a 12pack instead so the motor came with the Greenbook manual and the radiator and some of the diesel related leftover parts.

Long story short, I bought it and took it home for a huge clean-up then a partial disassembly followed soon after (appr 2.5y ago).
The d24 was completely misadjusted but after all necessary precautions and inspections, proper timing, valves, electrics and fluids, injectors, glowplugs, fuel system clean-up, ip flush, belts etc... it started and finally was running smooth. It got painted by the dude who swapped the Ford in... in the colors of the German flag, respecting German VW engineeering. But as I said, they weren't successful starting it and gave up.

It ran nicely after it got very well adjusted but the results of *previous* improper ownership and/or lack of skilled maintenance both left marks inside and outside this engine.

It ran quite smoothly and i had a cooling system set up for it so I could have it running for a period of time for check ups and adjustments. It always started easily and Im guessing it had good compression and a good chance being very rebuildable but time will tell.

At the last start-up I had, I noticed bubbles sent through the coolant to the expansion reservoir so then, for safety, it was left "idling" on the engine stand for appr 2yrs with the exception of getting started for a quick minute, a few times every 3-5 months.

Let's see later what condition the cylinder head is in.

Is it going to be a fun project motor or a boring parts donor?
Disassembly started...
Here's a few pictures...stay tuned for the news... and let's hope the head is still flat enough.

Here is the video of the very first start up (not much manual bleeding happened lol)
https://youtu.be/7oz-8qPDv4U
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-11-22-08-10-43.jpg (28.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-11-22-08-11-09.jpg (25.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-11-22-08-11-26.jpg (24.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-11-22-08-11-55.jpg (11.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-11-22-08-12-26.jpg (30.5 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 11-22-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:02 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 740 Wagon

Nice illustrations. I read something interesting regarding 1.5 and 1.6 VW diesel heads in a catalog from Parts Place in Michigan. Instead of machining a warped diesel head they heat the head until it is in a "plastic" state. Once the head reaches the proper temperature they use a press to remove the warpage. This ensures that the centerline of the camshaft bore and head surface are parallel. I'm hoping for you that a new head gasket and more of your expert care will remedy the leakage. It's amazing how many write these engines off as junk when it's so important to have the right tools and help from this board.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:04 PM

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 745

it's nice to see that you revived the motor

Did you make a complete overhaul? Which parts did you replace

Regards
Old 12-02-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goteborg Vapenfabrik View Post
Once the head reaches the proper temperature they use a press to remove the warpage. This ensures that the centerline of the camshaft bore and head surface are parallel.
Nice idea. Is this a common practice somewhere? Can most of the warped heads get saved this way? I would like to hear about this trick...any videos available?
Old 12-02-2017, 08:15 PM

Default D24 1984 motor, head is stamped "83"

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_d24t View Post
it's nice to see that you revived the motor.
Did you make a complete overhaul? Which parts did you replace?
Thanks I only did the basic setups as suggested by the book then it started and ran nicely. Yes these cars often end(ed) up in the wrong hands...people who thought and believed "ohh diesels run forever!" Etc...
Add the rare& expensive tools, regular oil that was changed rarely, some lack of maintenance and all this immediately explains how the VW made d24(t) motor became infamous (especially in the usa).

My video shows the very first start after the basic refurb AND that was BEFORE I took the head off 2.5yrs later (last month).
I got busy with other projects so the thread will not receive updates like I originally wanted to do it.

In the meantime, parts are on the way, the head is off, getting cleaned and lots of measurements will follow. Im hoping to post it up soon. So far it looks like another very slow project.

Last edited by RedArrow; 12-02-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Thanks I only did the basic setups as suggested by the book then it started and ran nicely. Yes these cars often end(ed) up in the wrong hands...people who thought and believed "ohh diesels run forever!" Etc...
Are you changing piston/rings, valve, bearings, etc...
Old 12-04-2017, 04:13 PM

I disassembled the engine, head is off but I havent taken measurements yet. I havent got big nonturbo plans though... The two d24 spares are my engines to learn things on.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
I disassembled the engine, head is off but I havent taken measurements yet. I havent got big nonturbo plans though... The two d24 spares are my engines to learn things on.
I'm not sure to understand... You have or not some big turbo plans?
Old 12-06-2017, 05:50 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 740 Wagon

Im not sure how well known this cylinder head flattening process is. Parts Place cited the tendency of the four cylinder VW diesel heads to arch when overheated. The whole head then needs to be reheated and put in a press to rectify the warpage. If one had a warped and terminally cracked D24 head to practice this process on that could confirm if this is an option for the longer D24 head. Parts Place may be willing to share more information about the process.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:43 PM

Default Easy and inexpensive ways of a complete clean up of the d24 cylinder head.

In the previous post, I meant to say that I do not have big plans for the nonturbo d24 spare engines. I am keeping them just to get familiar with internal parts, repairs and assembly.

I have a question, though I maybe I already asked about it before. Probably in the other d24 disassembly thread (Resurrection of 1981 d24).

Well, long time ago I took all accessories off and got the engine apart, the cyl head is off now and partially disassembled.

What is the best solvent to use for a very good clean-up of the stained, oily, burnt, oxidized etc aluminum head?

Is it a good idea to have it soaking (submerged) in "petrol fuel"= gasoline? That worked great with the intake manifold, just a few hours of soaking in fuel took off EVERYTHING completely, inside and out, including carbon deposits, oil and all. (BTW, diesel fuel did not work well, at all.)

I know, it is flammable but is there any other disadvantage? Or, what is the best way of getting rid of all poop and prep the head for checkups, repairs?