D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-19-2017, 11:10 AM
volvo_d24t volvo_d24t is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Canada
Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 745
Posts: 7
Exclamation Hello from Canada!

Hello brick lovers,

my name is Louis, I live in Canada, QC. I am a new member on this forum and I recently bought my first Volvo, and yes, it's a diesel. It is a 1985 Volvo 745 with the D24T motor. Of course the motor need love. I am currently finishing my studies in Heavy Diesel Truck mechanic. My goal is to rebuild the engine and run it for several years again. I have all the service manual for the D24T. I have read about the engine and it seems to be tricky and a lot a knowledge is required to achieve a successful rebuild. I am also planning to swap a M46 from a gasser, but a local guy is telling me that they are not as good as the automatic on these motor? I will need to find parts to do the swap, like a D24T bell housing, flywheel, and sleeve of input shaft is different? I also know that some tools are indispensable to work on these engine?

I would like to hear all of your personal experience to rebuild the engine and D24 in general. I know it depends of wear, but did you needed to rebore the cylinder with oversize piston or simply new ring set... Doing overhaul, would you suggest me to change everything in new? (crankshaft bearing, valve, connecting rod bearings, etc..)

Any tips or info is appreciate!!

Here is my 1985 Volvo 745 GLE:



Last edited by volvo_d24t; 12-01-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-19-2017, 01:18 PM
RedArrow RedArrow is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NY
Vehicle: `86 745
Posts: 476
Default Car looks good

Welcome to the forum! For some reason our members are much less active than before. But, You'll find great info here and answers to most of your questions using the advanced search function.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-19-2017, 08:11 PM
ngoma ngoma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_d24t View Post
I would like to hear all of your personal experience to rebuild the engine and D24 in general. I know it depends of wear, but did you needed to rebore the cylinder with oversize piston or simply new ring set... Doing overhaul, would you suggest me to change everything in new? (crankshaft bearing, valve, connecting rod bearings, etc..)
Good that you have the greenbook. There you will find the specs required for deciding which parts need replacing or overhauled. It is a matter of measurement and inspection. Otherwise how do you know you will need crankshaft bearing, valve, connecting rod bearings, etc.? The bottom end on these engines are usually robust. The more common problems are head warpage from overheating, piston/valve collision from broken timing belt or improper repair (insufficient tightening of crankshaft pulley).

What are the symptoms that make you think you need a complete overhaul? I see lots of black smoke in the first photo, but that might be caused by incorrect IP tuning or timing.

ZF 4HP22L is a good match for the D24T. M46 can get better fuel economy, but would require D24T style bellhousing, pilot brg., clutch, pressure plate, throwout brg., etc. And pedals, cable, mount, driveshaft. And shifter, shifter cage, rubber and leather boots, OD wiring and relay.

If the automatic is working good I would leave it in there.
__________________
1985 744 gle d24t
1985 745 gle d24t
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-01-2017, 08:21 AM
volvo_d24t volvo_d24t is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Canada
Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 745
Posts: 7
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Welcome to the forum! For some reason our members are much less active than before. But, You'll find great info here and answers to most of your questions using the advanced search function.
Thank you! I agree that there is a lot of helpful information on the forum, unfortunately some pictures are no more hosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Good that you have the greenbook. There you will find the specs required for deciding which parts need replacing or overhauled. It is a matter of measurement and inspection. Otherwise how do you know you will need crankshaft bearing, valve, connecting rod bearings, etc.? The bottom end on these engines are usually robust. The more common problems are head warpage from overheating, piston/valve collision from broken timing belt or improper repair (insufficient tightening of crankshaft pulley).

What are the symptoms that make you think you need a complete overhaul? I see lots of black smoke in the first photo, but that might be caused by incorrect IP tuning or timing.

ZF 4HP22L is a good match for the D24T. M46 can get better fuel economy, but would require D24T style bellhousing, pilot brg., clutch, pressure plate, throwout brg., etc. And pedals, cable, mount, driveshaft. And shifter, shifter cage, rubber and leather boots, OD wiring and relay.

If the automatic is working good I would leave it in there.
Hello & thanks for the info!

I may keep the automatic transmission for a while, but i'm still interested to swap it manual with a m46. What about the transmission mount, is the same as the one on a 740 gasser?

I will be looking to buy these parts:
- N/A intake
- D24T bellhousing
- Flywheel
- http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...tch-ring/2201/

if anyone have those parts for sale please PM me

Last edited by volvo_d24t; 12-01-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-01-2017, 02:31 PM
ngoma ngoma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_d24t View Post
Thank you! I agree that there is a lot of helpful information on the forum, unfortunately some pictures are no more hosted
You are probably referring to Photobucket's (successful?) ransom attempt for payment to them to maintain weblinks for photos. Agreed that it's a major impediment. I spent some time trying to find a workaround, got stuck in Github, then gave up for the time being. Supposedly there's a solution for Chrome browser users?

Currently recommend uploading photos directly to D24T.com with the manage attachments option, then insert them into the post via the attachments (paperclip icon) button. IIRC, there's a limit of 5 per post.
__________________
1985 744 gle d24t
1985 745 gle d24t
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.