D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 03-20-2010, 06:00 PM

Question Contemplating D24+T

Im looking into buying an 82 240 wagon, needs 2 new passenger doors "low speed wreck" and its got 260k miles, m46 tranny, of course, n/a d24.

Ive been looking around and have seen people turbo these non turbo engine without a problem, however, im a bit afraid of the high mileage on this engine... no telling if somebody ever changed the oil on time, or at all...

I have a garrett m33 a/r 48 turbo lying around that I would love to put to use, its a T3 flange, but I dont know what the d24t flange is!!!!!!! ive been browsing google for the past hour and nothing! Not to toot my own horn, but my googling skills are quite refined.

Any idea what the flange style is on the oem d24t?

and, where would be a good place to purchase a rebuild kit? Im talking about new rod bearings, piston rings, head gasket, etc...
Old 03-21-2010, 07:20 AM

If the engine don`t burn alot of oil and starts good is it okay to put a turbo on. The flange is a t3 on turbo manifold.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Owner/admin

Do some reading here on the forum, lots of good info. Turboing it will really add some driveability. Do a compression check first to get an idea of the engines condition if you are questioning its condition.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 03-21-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Do some reading here on the forum, lots of good info. Turboing it will really add some driveability. Do a compression check first to get an idea of the engines condition if you are questioning its condition.

Jason
I was reading somewhere, somebody did a tut on checking the compression, something about 400psi is good, and the back 2 cylinders were around 380 and how they can be starved of oil frequently.

I believe a smokestack will be in order as soon as I get it "evil laugh"

sorta unrelated: heres a stack I put on my 81 starlet, the engine is a 5efe from a 92 paseo, and the turbo setup is from a 94 euro-starlet with a 4efte.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W79ymd_-3pA
Old 03-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Owner/admin

The starving oil thing about the last two cylinders is an old wives tale. If your below 400 though its getting pretty tired... I don't know of any shop that sells a rebuilt kit. Check the parts suppliers section for links to shops that carry parts though. Archway, the shop I work at can get pretty much all the engine stuff you will need for a rebuild.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The starving oil thing about the last two cylinders is an old wives tale. If your below 400 though its getting pretty tired... I don't know of any shop that sells a rebuilt kit. Check the parts suppliers section for links to shops that carry parts though. Archway, the shop I work at can get pretty much all the engine stuff you will need for a rebuild.

Jason
PM sent
-_-
Old 03-23-2010, 01:01 PM

The D24T/TIC has oil cooled pistons, with nozzels that "shoot" oil to the bottom of the piston. I don't think it's a good idea modifying a n/a D24. Maybe installing a taller head gasket so it has lower compression. Keep updated on ideas!! Great work!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to cuaz64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWagon View Post
The D24T/TIC has oil cooled pistons, with nozzels that "shoot" oil to the bottom of the piston. I don't think it's a good idea modifying a n/a D24. Maybe installing a taller head gasket so it has lower compression. Keep updated on ideas!! Great work!
There's no problems with that (the oil squirters). Also, a lower compression ratio in a d24/D24T is a bad things, making almost impossible to start the engine and generates a lot of troubles. This guy turbocharged a D24 without trouble:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...ghlight=diesel
Old 03-23-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWagon View Post
I cant understand why people keep saying this. You need the oil squirters whwn the engine is in a vw lt. Compression is the same in all d24.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Slobodan

On your car, It has missmatched doors? Is it Blue/silver? Is the colour of the engine block Ford Blue? If so, then Its been rebuilt properly. and I know the car.