D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 04-12-2017, 09:26 AM

Vehicle: 1982 245-GL D6, 1982 244-GL D6
Default What parts should I replace on my D24?

I just received my 2nd diesel 240 (1982 245 from California with 136,000 miles)

Ideally I would like to go through the entire engine, but finances dictate otherwise at this moment, so….

I am looking for a recommended list of parts/belts/gaskets/hoses, etc… which should be replaced so I can drive this as a daily during the warmer months. (My ’84 diesel 244 will be the winter beater)

Also, if anyone has the recommended parts, let me know.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-12-2017, 07:34 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Hi

Congrats,
that is a clean looking diesel wagon survivor there!

136k is not a big deal for these, if well taken care of, it will run the same amount of miles at least one more time.

If the previous owner (service records) can`t prove when (if) the timing belt was refreshed; your best insurance is getting it done. Unfortunately too many of these rare cars got lost due to neglected belts, or badly done belt service by `regular mechanics` and diy repairs without proper tools... good diesel mechanics are getting rare to find too (and service tools, as well).

I have almost all the parts/maintenance items/hoses filters belts etc you may ever need, but all are available via several websites such as Tasca, IPDusa, FCP, Eeuro, etc and they aren`t too expensive compared to what happens when you `forget` to keep them fresh. I would say make sure all your hoses are in good condition, check the injection pump for leaks, get the tank and the entire fuel system cleaned up if car sat long years, do the timing belt at the front, maybe reset the pump timing and get your injectors checked or rebuilt if there is a concern. Oh and do the valve adjustment, period.
Use ONLY quality motor oil, fully synthetic; and make sure your cooling system is up to date and not fishy anywhere.
Clean filters, clean fuel, good valves, a well set pump, a strong cranking battery, good BOSCH glow plugs, and nothing can stop you from being an addict. LOL you already are bc you got your second d24.

Happy dieseling!

I can provide you part numbers if necessary. And I have the tools to loan but I am planning to do some refurbs on mine too.

I seriously think now that there should be an East Coast Diesel Volvo meet this year. I know at least 10-12 cars, maybe 15 around here (turbo and nonturbo diesels, swaps and other interesting projects and many who don`t even use this website, yet)

Does your wagon have blue interior? That is a good match to the paint color you have. What is the color code on this car?
Old 04-12-2017, 07:43 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default I have the part numbers if needed

I didn't mean to make you paranoid about repairs. All I'm saying is, keep your eyes on the filters, the fuel, the pump, the liquids and leaks (if any).
I always look at (and under) the engine before&after every trip (this habit stayed with me; from the time when I got the car long years ago...I was trying to see whether or not I need to get it prepared for longer trips such as cross country.

I was (am) really lucky as the previous owner is a true professional and made sure all was fine and well set.
Whatever it is, keep posting. I'm happy to see another d24 in action.

Last edited by RedArrow; 04-12-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:26 AM

Quote:
I seriously think now that there should be an East Coast Diesel Volvo meet this year. I know at least 10-12 cars, maybe 15 around here (turbo and nonturbo diesels, swaps and other interesting projects and many who don`t even use this website, yet)
Carlisle PA, May 19, 20 , and 21.

Lol.

Spenser
Old 04-15-2017, 09:25 AM

Vehicle: 1982 245-GL D6, 1982 244-GL D6

I have been meaning to go to Carlisle one of these days, unfortunately, I am working that weekend (again)

Tags
240, d24t, diesel, volvo, wagon