D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2016, 04:41 PM

Vehicle: 85 745 D24T
Default new member from NJ checking in

Hi, finally joined the forum, not sure what took me so long, I've been around these engines since I was 6 years old, but I'm finally here.

I recently picked up an '83 760 GLE D24T (I believe they were all M46 that year?) mainly for parts. Seller couldn't really tell me when it ran last but it was well over a year, I wouldn't say it was neglected but it certainly hadn't been loved like it should.

I got it because it was cheap and should give me everything I need to swap out the ZF22 that's in the '85 745 GLE D24T that I will pick up soon. It's currently at my parents house as they are the original owners. Main reason I don't want to keep the auto is because the trans failed sometime in 1996, it was rebuilt by a local Lee Myles transmission shop and it was never right since. I believe it failed again and fixed under warranty, but it would never shift out of 1st unless you tached it out and then left off the gas, then it would be fine after that.

It hasn't seen daily driver status since 2001 and only did some "around town" driving for a couple years after that, since then it's been sitting in a coastal town in NJ so it too may only be a parts car, won't know until I get it on a lift and see if it falls apart or not.

I also own a TDI Jetta that I picked up in 2009, was originally an auto too, previous owner had that trans rebuilt and 18 months later it started to develop problems, unfortunately he had put so many miles on it in that time he was out of warranty and the shop wanted another $2500 to rebuild it again, so he picked up a 5-Speed Golf and I bought the Jetta. I drove it for a month until the problems were too severe to drive, meanwhile I gathered up all the parts I needed to complete the swap to manual and the rest is history. I hate to get rid of it, but if my 745 Project is a success, I will probably end up selling it.

I have a number of other cars, trucks and projects I'm into as well, but this introductory novel is long enough.

Glad to be a part of the forum, I've been doing a lot of reading and at some point will start a build thread for my project.

1985 745 GLE D24T ZF22 || 1983 760 GLE D24T M46 (Parts Car) || 1989 745 Turbo B230FT AW71 (Parts Car)
1993 GMC Typhoon #0180 || 1993 GMC Typhoon #1579 || 1992 GMC Typhoon #1068
2007 Chevy Trailblazer 3SS || 2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 || 1952 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Photobucket | Fuelly | YouTube