D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Body and Interior
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Overdrive relay -- m46 5th gear

http://www.swedishautoparts.com/740/...ion-parts.html
Could you confirm which one of these would be the proper type (color?) of OD relay for me? Mine is a 1986 converted 745 gasser with a 1985 d24t engine with its m46 tranny. My overdrive (5th gear) is not working right now. I think my od relay retired.

I got confused... Mine is brown. I`ll give it a shot tomorrow and see if resoldering cures my overdrive problem. (no 5th gea at all and the green light does not come up either) I did find some of the lines faded or slightly broken inside the relay. Nothing is burnt but minor crack or imperfections are visible. The car has the Made in Germany brown type od relay and that might be the original setup, i dont know.

I also suspect that the button on the shifter went bad but that would be the last thing to malfunction I guess. I checked voltage at the very end of the cables that run to the top of shifter and it was fine.

Most of my relays are not tightly in (loose) and there is a large amount of dust in there. I did not want to touch anything yet, just removed the od relay itself for a clean up and inspection. I prefer to deal with one issue at a time but later on I will take them all out and airblast the gaps and holes and will try to fit all relays back somehow tighter and clean all connections as well. Is there a method to test the od relay itself? That would be great to start with. ...
I also think about the solenoid might be acting up a bit. I have no 5th gear for now. There is no relay click when I press on the od button on my shifter.
Interesting that I was never able to see/activate the green 5th gear light on my dash unless the car was running. My other m46 Volvos always let me try 4th position+OD even if the car was not running (of course ignition on)... In RedArrow , my 745 d24t m46, I could never do that but my od was fine and functioning well once I got to 4th gear and touched the button for 5th gear. I will start with testing the relay if there is a way to do so. Thanks for your ideas and advice!