D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket

Old 08-22-2009, 12:08 AM

Default hey andy

quick way to find suspension upgrades -google "volvo shock absorber" there are several volvo parts specilsts (in UKand Ireland sorry or have I got the wrong Dublin)stocking various brands of shocks and lowering kits, I even done abit of research into volvo original accessories,then I remembered the Blues Brothers and clicked on special vehicles but there were no cop shocks! the lowering and handling kits for 900s are no longer stocked but indevidual parts are, but coming in that blue box makes them out of my price range! Jason"s on the ball with his timing setting ,1993 on is .95 smack in the middle. yeh my car suffers jello suspension and poor getaway so this site has got me keen to get my overalls on I might start with a bit of air box cutting.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to cuaz64

Well...somebody talk about a drag car in Sweden, equipped with a 250HP D24T. Also, supposedly the stock internal parts can hold up to 400NM.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...ghlight=D24TIC
Old 08-24-2009, 09:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to Slobodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoStevo View Post
Yeah, head studs are definitely in the plan. I've already got most of the parts for my turbo (Garrett T3 off of a Mercedes that I plan to pilfer the turbine housing from and a T3-based Hitachi HT-18 off of an RX7 Turbo that I'll take the compressor housing from). I wish I had known what cars came with T4s from the factory before I bought all these turbo parts. Oh well. Would a T4 compressor wheel help at all or is it the T3 housing itself that's inefficient? I'll make a new thread with pictures of my "junk" turbos tomorrow.
Dude, I'm running the RX-7 HT-18 Compressor on my turtle-diesel. And I have been planning on getting a Mercedes 300 Turbo Diesel Turbine, they are .48 A/R right?
With the stock D24T turbine its just .36 A/R.

Anyways, The HT-18 seems to be more rightly sized for this engine. Has anyone got any idea of what A/R it is? Looks like a .60 to me. I love how it just howls at 10psi pulling my 240 wagon up the sylvan hill out of portland.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobodan View Post
Dude, I'm running the RX-7 HT-18 Compressor on my turtle-diesel. And I have been planning on getting a Mercedes 300 Turbo Diesel Turbine, they are .48 A/R right?
With the stock D24T turbine its just .36 A/R.

Anyways, The HT-18 seems to be more rightly sized for this engine. Has anyone got any idea of what A/R it is? Looks like a .60 to me. I love how it just howls at 10psi pulling my 240 wagon up the sylvan hill out of portland.
The turbo I got out of a Mercedes has a .48 A/R turbine housing. I have no idea what model it was though. I'm fairly sure that the A/R of the HT-18 is .60 based on what I've read on the net. Apparently there are different versions though, referred to as Series 2, Series 3, etc. (mine was listed as an S2).

So you slapped the RX7 compressor on the stock D24T turbine? How's that working for you?
Old 08-24-2009, 08:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Slobodan

Yeah, I also got the HT18-2S Twin Scroll - Doesn't do me any Good to use that turbine though because its non standard.

However, I am enjoying the results from this cross-breeding of turbos. Seems to give me a lower cruising boost level at 70mph. The stock turbo was pushing 7psi cruising 70.. and now its more like 3psi. And when I get busy with this turbo it likes the higher rpms, loves to push air. the engine likes breathing through it better aswell. Louder compressor whine also!

I max boost at 13. Sometime it will get upto 15. I have adjusted the safety over boost valve all the way up too. It now dumps at 16 psi.

I Just now want to free up the exhaust side a bit with the .48 Turbine. I can feel it being choked out. I would probably actually want to see a .63 on there. But I don't want to make another down pipe or rig up some other kind of wastegate system. So I'll just hunt down that mercedes .48...
Old 08-24-2009, 10:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Josh

When I get some money to do a turbo swap, you're gonna help me > Sounds like I'm really missing out with having a completely stock car T_T

I just hit 120k miles today though hehe... probably going to do a 3" pipe from the turbo to the back as soon as I have some money If anything it'll sound better!

EDIT

Also... looking on Ebay... most of the turbos there are 50 trim with .63 A/R.... is that too big? o.O seems bigger than the ones you guys are talking about.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:20 AM

Default had a look on e-bay

Had a look on ebay and i found this #
T3 T4 T04E Turbocharger .63 A/R Turbo CIVIC EX B16 New

it says its for a civic will it fit mine or its only $120
what do you reckin?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:30 AM
Owner/admin

The T3/T4 is the way to go, but you need the .48 housing. I wouldn't go with the .63 its a little sluggish below 3000rpm. The .48 will flow plenty for top end, much more than the .36 and especially compaired to the stock .36 which is very restrictive with the waste gate design. Nothing wrong with the T-3 compressor housing, and its not that its inefficient, its just that the T-4 compressor moves more air at a given turbine speed and will do so at a lower charge temp, so why not? If you can find a half blown up T3T4 on ebay or craigslist you can swap the compressor side over to the stock turbo. You will probably have to shave some of the compressor off where the nut seats since the chinese turbo's are all stage 3s and the stocker is a (i think) a stage 2. The shaft is a little shorter but no big deal. Check over at my turbo thread, there are picks of the hybrid I build using the chinese turbo parts and stock center section (so the oil feed and drain would bolt right up). It works great but the ultimate will be the .48 housing. If you watch the videos it spools pretty well with the .63, but it would have a larger power band with the smaller housing without giving up any top end.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The T3/T4 is the way to go, but you need the .48 housing. I wouldn't go with the .63 its a little sluggish below 3000rpm. The .48 will flow plenty for top end, much more than the .36 and especially compaired to the stock .36 which is very restrictive with the waste gate design. Nothing wrong with the T-3 compressor housing, and its not that its inefficient, its just that the T-4 compressor moves more air at a given turbine speed and will do so at a lower charge temp, so why not? If you can find a half blown up T3T4 on ebay or craigslist you can swap the compressor side over to the stock turbo. You will probably have to shave some of the compressor off where the nut seats since the chinese turbo's are all stage 3s and the stocker is a (i think) a stage 2. The shaft is a little shorter but no big deal. Check over at my turbo thread, there are picks of the hybrid I build using the chinese turbo parts and stock center section (so the oil feed and drain would bolt right up). It works great but the ultimate will be the .48 housing. If you watch the videos it spools pretty well with the .63, but it would have a larger power band with the smaller housing without giving up any top end.

Jason
So the stock wastegate is restrictive? Uh oh. The turbine housing I have has pretty much the same design as the stock D24T's. Oh well. You can see some pictures of what I have to work with here: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=66

Also, I have another turbo-related question. Would a blow-off valve do anything on a diesel? I only just recently realized that there was no throttle plate (lol).
Old 08-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Owner/admin

No, the blow off valve wont do anything becauase there is no throttle plate to stop the boost if you let off the throttle. There are a few places marketing diesel blow off vavles but I have yet to see any kind of concrete evidence of it needing to be there.

Its not the wastegate iteself that is restrictive, it is plenty big, its the design of the turbine housing itself. Look at the inlet, 2/3rds of the area of the exhaust housing is diverted towards the waste gate. When the waste gate is closed better than half the exhaust is crashing into that dead area of the housing rather than being diverted to the turbine wheel. If you want to stick with a .36 there are housings available but you will have to change to a stage 1 turbine wheel/shaft.

Just my .02

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!