D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket

Old 12-25-2010, 03:58 AM

Default Parkingheater WEBASTO DBW 2010

A couple of years ago i could buy a brandnew Webasto parkingheater.
Several winters i was angry at myself not having builded in the heater and this winter i began to mount the webasto.
First i made a aluminium box for the heater wich a mounted in the trunk of my 245.

But it's better to show some pic's i think rather than tolking to long.......

I have planned to put the heater in the back of the volvo just like they do with LPG-tanks (liguit gas).
This morning i made a case to hold all pieces togheter.

After a period of other busines i took up the parkingheater-project again....

My son bought me a pair of tubes 22mm to transport the hot coolant to the front of the car.
Now the tubes are on top, later they move underneath the car.

First of all i had to make a hole in the trunk for the heater-box.

I placed the box in the space i cutted with a lot of adhesive stuff.

To feed the heater there has to be made a succtionpipe in the diesel-tank;

The heater comes with a suction- and returnpipe wich fits into a drilled hole in the tank-element.

The exhaust muffler was getting in the way so i removed it to the scrap....
To prevent gasses coming in i had to make a exhaust-pipe to make the cut-of-pipe longer.
So i made a temporary sidepipe....

A vieuw at the rear of the 245 after putting in the heaterbox;

Now the coolanthoses can be connected to the box;

I routed them along the dieseltank to the middle of the car just above the axle.

No, the tank is not leaking, it's WD40 to let the hoses pass more easyly.

Now the hoses are waiting to be connected to the tubes 22mm running to the engine.....

Old 12-25-2010, 03:58 AM

Last week i completed the build and could make a "testrun" to see what happened.

The heater started up very well and i bleeded the air while the circulation-pump was running like you suggested loosening the clamp in top of the heater.

After 20min. the engine was heated up from 5 degrees to 65 degrees.To my suprise,the interiorheater (the original volvo one)wasn't becoming warm at all!
Today i found out the reason; the water-valve was not opening 100% while the dash-control-knob was shifted to 100%.

I was hoping to show you some details of the "manifold" i made of copper to route the coolant.
But i lost the pic's by a crashed memory-card.
So i took some pictures again on the street to show some details.

exhaust from the heater;

pipes made of 22mm steel, just the same as we use in Holland to transport the heating-water in house;

Heater-hose with T- for letting the heated coolant into the engine and car-heater.(T cannot be seen in mounted position, is right behind the hose.

And mounted;

Copper manifold, letting the coolant out of the engine, going to the heater.

Again,zoomed in,mounted in place.

Of course, i have to fasten the pipes and hoses in stead of Tiereps.But i was running out of time and needed the volvo this weekend.

I used a drawing from the volvo-documentation to explain the circuit of the coolant as it is right now.It's very easy to see where the coolant enters the engine; it's the T-pipe at the back of the cilinderhead.
The coolant leaves the engine at the back of the waterpump via a homemade manifold of copper.
If you take a look at the pics above, you will see the parts mentioned.

I didn't draw the details like valves etc. wich i installed for servicing the heater, it's just a rough drawing.....
Old 12-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Owner/admin

Very nice setup there! I'm always impressed with all the work you do, its consistantly very high quality! So is the idea here to start the heater up when the car is started to help it warm more quickly, or do you go out and start the heater before you plan to leave and let it run a bit? As for coolant flow, does the coolan run through the system when the engine is running, or is there a valve you shut off to keep the pump from trying to push the coolant through all the piping?

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:11 AM

Thanks Jason!

The system is ment to warm up the engine/car before i take off.So when i want to leave i start the heater 10-20mins. earlyer.(i have a digital timer from webasto but i don't like letting the car with the mainswitch "on".)

In Holland it'was freezing 10 celcius below zero and the heater warms up the engine at 80celcius,i didn't even see the glow-light while cars around me having problems to get the engine alive!

The heater has also a device to power the original blowermotor when the coolant is at 60celcius but i didn't install that yet.

When the engine runs, the checkvalve in the coolant-feed-pipe closes and the heater will shut down due to reaching max. temp of water.Of course the heater will start al over after the coolant gets colder but i shut off the heater manually.

It would be nice if all forum-members could share their idea's and design the perfect Volvo with D24T(IC), painted in CAT-yellow, parkingheater, and all extra's mentioned in this D24T-forum
Old 12-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Owner/admin

I think your parking heater is a little nicer than mine, being totaly self contained! As you said, parking across the street your hosed if yours would have to plug in like mine. I also really like the interior fan option that would run the vent system and actually warm the car! Mine warms the engine but being up at the front, and having no way to circulate, I don't get any interior heat from it. The engine is part way up to temp though so I do get heat much more quickly.

I think the ultimate diesel volvo would be a later model 9xx series wagon like you guys can get over there, with the huge dump truck like M90 manual trans. A couple pump mods, more boost and a limited slip diff and you would have a hell of a wagon! And the comfort, I don't even know how much nicer a later model 9 series would be, but I'm sure its an upgrade from my '84!

Jason

Old 12-28-2010, 10:56 AM

Mmmm, limited slip.
That's really nice on ice!
Last week i towed a tandem-axle trailer with about 500kg stuff and i could easy manouvre the trailer backwards up to a higher place.I was suprised that it was doing so well while the street was covered with ice.I like my cherokee axle more and more!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Owner/admin

Since I blew up my welded diff, I'm hoping to recieve my G80 limited slip diff this week some time. Should be nice to have a real limited slip that wont make the tires chop around corners. It was getting a little annoying on a daily driver!

Jason

Old 02-01-2011, 03:30 PM

I can't believe I missed this before- extremely cool! It seems like it would be neat for camping too, if you could heat the interior of your wagon at night for sleeping without running the engine.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:15 AM

A 2010 is very large for a car, its used to heat buses and large RVs. A Thermo 90s or Espar D4 would be a much better match while taking up 1/3 the space.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:44 PM

Hi Ruby, yes it's overdone but..................

Isn't a VOLVO overdone from front to rear?
I have plenty of room,plenty of time but less money and could buy the heater for only 50,- euro

@ casioqv; thanks! Most times i stay whith my folding-caravan on camp-sites wich are forbidden for cars (except arrivals and departures)
And........honestly, the webasto does give a lot of smoke when starting up. (just like a worn out diesel-engine)