D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2024, 01:42 PM

Vehicle: 1981 GL 245
Default sized camshaft ...

For sure Job did have a worse life than mine, but I m beginning to think that I might accept that I am doubting for real...

yesterday, I went to visit a friend at 15km from my place
the day before I had a nice 140km highway drive no problem, as the electric pump functions greatly. it's amazing!

when I arrived on my friend's portal, I notice a big smoke coming out of the oil breather. I immediately turned off the key. some minutes later, I tried to start the engine again. "clic". I turned the engine by hand backward , like 10 degrees. valves hit piston. I remove cover, and I notice the camshaft don't move anymore. funny thing is, the motor was running ok before I cut it.

the first bearing (radiator side) was burning, so was the orange half-moon cover seal. it was reeking like hell.

i have been told that on the photo on the head that you can see in my previous post, the head seems to be "dry" with oil. now I don't know what to do : is it possible that while receiving some oil, the head did not have enough of it bc of an oil pump failure? or is the head too much tired (650 000km)?

fortunately for her, the Volvo decided to die at the very place my friend could accept her; otherwise I would have thrown her I think, even if I don't have any spare car, and no money to get a decent one.

if one has any idea. my oil level was good.
Old 04-13-2024, 10:30 AM
Supporting Member

Maybe not a seized camshaft but possibly a failed timing belt?
Old 04-15-2024, 01:36 AM

Vehicle: 1981 GL 245

I did not the head job yet, but i think i know what happened. the head was drilled around the sixth cylinder, in order to get better lubrification at the end of the engine. a machine shop did that a long time ago. a pipe was shunted from the oil sensor directly to the head. this pipe broke so i removed it and put a screw with silicon type gasket . I think I put it directly on the screw : it went away and slid directly into the head. that's the reason why only one bearing melted. so it's a headjob again and one good lesson for sure
Old 04-15-2024, 11:03 AM
Supporting Member