D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2011, 01:04 AM

Default Well... here goes...

Tonight I started pulling the engine out of my 1985 760. The body is pretty rough, but I've got a great condition 1989 turbo wagon that I will transplanting the drivetrain into. I got as far as getting all of the hoses and wires disconnected from the engine. I'm hoping to have the engine pulled by this weekend.

I'll post some photos when it's not so late.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:01 PM

Well the 89 Turbo wagon is probably the easiest gasser to convert as the battery box and air cleaner and some other stuff are already in the right place as different from the non turbo cars. I converted a 92 turbo wagon and the different instrument gauge panel was about the only additional thing to modify.

Steve
Old 11-30-2011, 03:41 PM

What did you need to do to the instrument cluster?
Old 12-19-2011, 01:18 PM

maybe swop it so the tacho reads right?
Old 01-01-2012, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbillyboy11 View Post
What did you need to do to the instrument cluster?
I had to use the temp sender off the gas engine I took out as its 2 wire not 1 and would not work otherwise. I fitted a tee in the hose going to the Cold start device. A Dakota Diesel adaptor was needed to make the tach work. Thats about all.

Steve
Old 01-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Should be a pretty straightforward swap. I also have a crusty '85 TD wagon that is donating its drivetrain to a turbo gas wagon. Mine is an '86, more or less the same.

My main piece of advice: Don't scrap your donor car until you have your swapped car fully finished and on the road. There are many little details that are different from the gassers to the diesels and if you scrap the donor too soon, you will inevitably end up crushing some parts you will find yourself needing later on. Some examples: front crossmember and springs, interior passenger side kick panel (diesel does not have the big intrusive bump where the gasser ECU goes), fuel filler tube and neck (bigger on the diesel in order to accept larger diesel fill nozzles), gauge cluster (for your 1989 you can swap the entire diesel cluster straight in and avoid the issues Steve had with his '92, 1991+ had a different cluster but 1983-1990 all used the same one so with some wiring changes you can use your existing diesel cluster including temp gage and diesel tach with no mods to cluster), and more.

I assume you are planning to use the crossmember from the diesel car? It is different from the gasser so welding is required for the engine mounts if using the gasser member. Using the correct diesel one is the way to go.

Another thing to note: to put the larger diesel rad into the gasser body, there is a plastic knockout panel in the lower core support -- pop that out and the bigger/taller rad will drop right in, no modifications required! I mention this because I have worked on two Volvo gas-diesel conversions, an 87 740T wagon and a 95 960 wagon, that were done by a guy who didn't know this and went to a lot of trouble to cut out the whole lower core support and fabricate a new one to hold the larger diesel rad... when he could have done no work at all, and had a cleaner looking result too, if he had used his eyes and his brain instead of his hacksaw and welder.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:38 PM

Thanks for all the input. Well, after a long delay, I got the engine sitting on the floor. It sure gets easier after you've done it 3 or four times. Tomorrow I will pull the gasser in and get started.

First things first, I was looking at it tonight, and it looks like I need to drop the steering rack and disconnect the LCA to get the engine cradle out. Is that right?

I thought I remember a thread where someone listed off the wires I'll need to keep, and which wires I'll need to wire up to the D24t. Also, did you guys all just remove all the extra wiring? What about the Check engine light, just pull the bulb?

Lastly, I haven't measured, but is there room in the car to keep the IC from the gas car? That would be a nice upgrade from no IC.

I'll try to post some pics as I go
Old 04-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

There's no room for the stock IC, unfortunately. The diesel rad takes up the space of the IC and then some.

Be sure to hang onto the donor car shell, there are many diesel specific parts you will still need for the swap! I.E. radiator mounts, fuel system bits, electrical pieces, etc.

I just did a swap of a D24T+M46 into a 1986 turbo gas wagon. When I have time sometime this week I will detail a complete list of what was required in terms of parts, wiring, tips, etc. Have pictures too. It is not too tricky but there are some things that it would help to know ahead of time. #1 tip is do not get rid of your donor vehicle until the swapped car is *completely* finished and on the road. Guarantee if you do, you will lose some parts that later on you will discover you needed!

Yes, to get the engine crossmember out, tie rods and lower control arms have to be disconnected. Pretty quick and easy. Sway bar comes out too. You can leave most of it all connected and drop as one unit. The way I did it was to drop the whole cradle out of my diesel donor car, leaving steering rack installed in the x-member and power steering hoses all still attached, then just dropped the gasser setup out the same way and plugged the diesel in. Keeps it simple and not too messy.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 AM

It's been a long time, but I lost motivation in the middle there somewhere. Finally spent some time this weekend pulling the gas motor, swapping cross members and now have the diesel engine bolted in place. Just need to do the wiring and fuel..

For those of you that have done this, how did you handle the fuel supply and return? Did anybody exchange entire fuel tanks? I'm assuming I can use the existing supply line, and is there a return line? I think so, it has a threaded fitting on the end?

Thanks
Jason
Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 PM

Well the 89 Turbocompresseur cart is probably the most convenient gasser to turn as power supply box and air better and some other things are already in the right place as different from the non turbo vehicles. I transformed a 92 turbo cart and the different device evaluate board was about the only additional thing to alter.
cars rent surfers paradise

Last edited by MoeTell; 12-07-2012 at 07:48 PM.