D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2024, 05:20 PM

Vehicle: 1982 245-GL D6, 1982 244-GL D6
Default Swapping BW55 for AW70?

I recently parted out a '93 240 Classic Wagon with a good AW70.

Is it possible/worth swapping the BW55 transmission in an '82 240 D24 for an AW70 out of a gas 240?

My first thought is that it would be quieter on the highway and get better fuel economy. Would this be true?

Is there anything special about the gearing in the BW55 on my diesel compared to a BW55 in a gas car? And as such, would using an AW70 made for a gas car, not be correctly geared for the D24?

Would also have to sort out the mechanical speedometer...
From some quick reading, it loos like the tail housings can be swapped?
Old 02-06-2024, 10:11 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Interesting question. The AW70's overdrive would be nice to have for sure, and would probably improve the noise level and fuel consumption on the highway as you say. The gearing of the AW70 is probably similar (or identical) to its ancestor the BW55 in gears 1-3 but then it gives you an overdrive gear for cruising. So no real difference in gas/diesel gearing. Like with the manual M46, Volvo made its changes in gearing for gas vs diesel cars by varying the rear axle differential ratio, and kept the gearbox internals the same. True as well for the ZF automatic which was used in both gas and diesel cars. The valve body shift points might be higher for the gas engine but you can compensate for that to some degree with adjustment of the kickdown cable, at least in theory.

If it were an AW70L then you would also get a lockup TC, which IMHO would make an even bigger difference for efficiency than the OD gear would. 740s and 940s had the AW70L in the non-turbo gas models. Something in the back of my mind is telling me that the lockup transmissions never went into the 240s for some reason though. A look at the data plate on the side of the trans would tell you, if in doubt.

I think the answer of whether it could be swapped would depend most of all on whether the BW55's D24 bellhousing could be bolted onto the AW70. Things like the speedo and driveline could be solved easily enough but the first question is if the trans and torque converter can mate to the engine.

Tags
aw70, bw55, gearing, swap, transmission