D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Old 09-20-2013, 05:53 PM

Vehicle: VW LT40 4x4 (x2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Glorious&happy indeed but so much revving for me. Are you going to paint the engine?
Well, I'm going to clean it up. I've been considering painting or power-coating the rocker-cover, but that's down the line.

Functionality first, then beauty

/M
Old 09-20-2013, 06:06 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default wait a second no rush

Hey you`ve paid so much for drinks tonight so take the nicer one home.

)) You won`t get your motor out just for the paintwork! I always wanted to save pictures of a real `quality green-block`
I can`t wait for more videos. Good luck with the project!

Last edited by RedArrow; 09-20-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:23 AM

I managed to get my fingers on another 2 engines, that somebody had stored away and was flogging off now.

A good few extra things, too. Like an extra injector pump and an extra starter. I think, I'll be alright for spares for a while.

One engine is a D24T, the other one is a D24TIC, both out of Volvos.

/M
Old 09-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Cool! Looks like it's coming along. Nice score on the parts, wish we were able to get the TIC motors here.

Should be a nice runner once it's done!
Old 09-22-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Nice score on the parts, wish we were able to get the TIC motors here.
Actually, all you need to make a D24T into a D24TIC is the intake manifold, the intercooler and some piping.

I'm actually not using the Volvo intercoolers, as they don't fit for the LT, but have 2 pottering around. I'd say it's just gonna be too pricy to ship that to the US.

You could just use a generic intercooler with a similar or more airflow rate and generic piping instead.

There's one more difference on the late D24TIC, that instead of running the oil-cooling over the coolant circuit, they've got a seperate oil cooler. That's not always an advantage though.

The D24T and D24TIC that I got today were both coolant oil-cooled. The one out of the 1997 had a seperate oil-cooler mounted together with the radiator and intercooler.

/M
Old 09-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Supporting Member

Store the fan clutch vertical, oriented as if it was installed on engine.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:03 PM

Anyhow. Here's more.

This is the Volvo D24TIC engine (engine code NV). You can see the difference to previous engines on the intake manifold.

Please note the rocker cover. The oil-lid is in the front.

And this is the rocker cover for the LT engine. The oil lid is in the back.

The two oil sumps. The top one is the Volvo one in aluminium. The bottom one is the LT 4x4 one in steel. The oil pickup in the sump obviously differs, too.

The later Volvo D24TIC's, like my '97, had an oil-cooler radiator instead of the coolant oil-cooler

Nevermind the intercooler. The oil-cooler is the one with the two hoses.

Due to space restrictions with the LT engine mounts, we had to fit the older type coolant oil-cooler.

See the core plug under the injector belt gear ? That's Volvo specific. In the LT, the gearbox covers that, so we plugged the outlet with a core plug and that's that.

Next up. The LT needed to get back on the lift. We had pushed it outside while we were prepping the engines. Sure, grab any oul' yoke, like my Renault 19 16v, and pull it back in

Engine and gearbox in and while we were at it, we also replaced the transfer box. The old New Process 208 was replaced with the newer New Process 241 box, as my 208 has a stretched chain and jumps gears, when placed in reduction setting.

As I was heading to a car show this weekend, we didn't manage to install the intercooler yet. So I've temporarily plumbed a bit piping across the engine and bypassed the intercooler.

As you can see, the oil-cap is now in the back, as that's where the service panel is.

You'll also notice 2 oil dip-sticks. The Volvo one is located in the engine housing, while the LT one is located on the sump. So we left the Volvo one there for now, but it's useless, as it doesn't show the oil-level properly anymore. It had to be shortened due to the different shape of the LT sump.

/M

Last edited by Marlow; 09-29-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:33 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

How common is the divorced 241 adapter?
And what transmission is that?
Old 09-29-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745 TurboGreasel View Post
How common is the divorced 241 adapter?
And what transmission is that?
New Process is an american company, based in Syracuse, New York. It's my transfer-box for the 4WD. They're used in Chevy Blazer, Jeep Cherokee, Hummer and many more. It's a simple prop-shaft driven, cable controlled transfer-box designed for lazy V8 auto-box drivetrains.

Sülzer, who designed the original 4x4 LT's, simply sourced the parts on the open market and borrowed here and there. T-case from New Process, axles from Dana or Clark-Hurth.

So they're actually common as muck .. There's a few VW specific parts, like the input-flange. But my plan is actually to upgrade to the Cherokee T-box, as I'll get another 4WD mode (4-high unlocked) then. Right now I've only got RWD, 4WD-high locked, 4WD-low locked.

So the transmission in my bus is the standard RWD VW LT tranny with the NP t-case in conjunction to archieve 4WD.

/M

Last edited by Marlow; 09-29-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:50 AM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
New Process is an american company, based in Syracuse, New York. It's my transfer-box for the 4WD. They're used in Chevy Blazer, Jeep Cherokee, Hummer and many more. It's a simple prop-shaft driven, cable controlled transfer-box designed for lazy V8 auto-box drivetrains.
LOL yes, they are in everything, I probably have almost a dozen of their cases. Building an NP271 for my Dodge now, it's monstrous the slip yoke I have to eliminate (by using some Ford parts) is as big as my wrist.

So they're actually common as muck .. There's a few VW specific parts, like the input-flange. But my plan is actually to upgrade to the Cherokee T-box, as I'll get another 4WD mode (4-high unlocked) then. Right now I've only got RWD, 4WD-high locked, 4WD-low locked.
It was this input flange I was really wondering about, as I haven't ever seen any of the chain drive cases installed divorced from rather than mated the transmission. Should make it super easy to add a doubler box if you wanted.

So the transmission in my bus is the standard RWD VW LT tranny with the NP t-case in conjunction to archieve 4WD.

/M
I'm a stupid American, don't know what tranny an LT came with, but always interested to know more thins that hook to a D24. Do you know if the clutch is the same? I cold see the truck having some better stuff.