D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Old 11-10-2013, 02:20 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

Mine are Bosch 80010 type, $8 from Rock Auto.

A guy on one of the truck forums wondered about the 'self regulating', so he left a duraterm going for 36 hours until he had to leave the house unattended, and it didn't burn out.

Early cars had slow plugs (and matched controller). Later, and many service replacements got the fast plugs.
Slow is like 2 minutes form freezing, fast about 30 seconds. Mostly the fast ones have a tapered tip.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Bosch and Beru should both be good. I haven't seen Berus for the D24/old VW application but they probably exist. I don't see any reason to use anything other than Duraterms. Don't know about NGK's, Densos, etc; those are usually great brands for spark plugs and for Japanese diesels that they originally came in but Bosch is always a good choice where it was the OE setup. (IMO same goes for Isuzus and Mitsus etc that originally had Denso plugs -- I would use Densos there over Bosch).

I have seen Autolites and Champions have the tips get soft and swollen up in Volvos; I would use almost anything before I put one of those in....
Old 11-10-2013, 07:10 PM

Vehicle: 1984 244 D24

So when I replaced the glow plugs the first time this spring/summer... One of them was completely missing the tip!! think it was long burnt up or got stuck inside head somewhere cause I never heard any rattling!! Think it had been gone a while... couldn't this really fuck your valves or something up?
Old 11-10-2013, 08:17 PM

If it burns away, you are OK, if it falls apart, you can lose the motor. Nots times they knock for a minute, and blow the pieces out.
The dealer broke one off in the head of my friends TDI at no extra charge and it passed pretty successfully. No surprise just hoped for the best and didn't tell her... Pistons looked about the same, just filed em flat.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:36 PM

ouch that left a mark! Might have some of that goin on but would need a good enough excuse to pull the head off to find out! Glowplugs will be here in the morning... Oh shit it veterans day the guy prob didn't realize that when he ordered on saturday and told me monday mornin... hopefully they r here just thought of that as I was typing lol! Gettin anxious I hope ol Ronald will sing a song for me soon!
Old 11-11-2013, 06:04 PM

So please excuse the video quality. Absolute shit its all glitchy and is pretty painful to listen to. But the beast started. This was second attempt after getting bosch plugs in today. So happy, I hope you guys appreciate the video even though the quality is absolutely horrible! Ronald is alive! Thank you all so much not sure if I will get him out on the road tonight but will tomorrow 4 sure!! Oh and it was 44 deg F when I started him... shit I got an error trying to upload how do I upload video? does it have to be a link thru photo hosting site or something?? HELP!
Old 11-11-2013, 06:21 PM

my security tokens are missing... the precious... tokens...
Old 11-11-2013, 11:11 PM

Save the tokin!

Your video probably has to be on youtube or photobucket type of place unless you can make it a .zip of 97.7 KB or less.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:12 AM

Ok so Ronald is up and running. Just did cold start this morning 45 deg NO ether. Didn't fire till 2nd crank but was being conservative on cranking time. Blows a lot of smoke for a couple mins then settles down but doesn't disappear.

Found a couple problems at IP. Getting a lot of little bubbles in return line. Especially when I start and they slow down after warming up but don't go completely away. When I give throttle the bubble seem to almost go away. Is this the input shaft seal you were talking about?

THe other issue is the IP is leaking. Pretty damn sure its coming out of the IP where the (head?) meets the main pump body. Its at the seam directly in front of where the Bosch VE #'s are located (think the 'head' part might be steel and body of pump aluminum...? leaking between the two) I am getting just over a drip per second which ends up being a small puddle in garage after a few minutes!! Now can either of these issues be addressed without removing the pump??

I got video of the bubbles in the clear return line I'll try and get it posted at a remote location and post a link here... Thanks guys!!
Old 11-12-2013, 09:00 AM

Ok so gonna try and post links to video. On photobucket they have different link types... one is for forums/boards is this what I want to use to link it? Also a direct link type... here is direct

http://s950.photobucket.com/user/Ros...06912.mp4.html

here is IMG code

Have 2 other videos on there of blow-by and bubbles in return line oh and the quality wasnt' as bad as when I viewed with quicktime on my computer!