D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Classifieds > Items Wanted
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2019, 06:56 AM

Vehicle: 1984 245 D24 M46 (converting to D24T auto), 1982 244 (installing missing D24 and M46 from wagon)

Hey V8Volvo,

Yes, long time no participation from me here at D24T... (not voluntary)

Thank you for that other link, discussing tilting the transmission vs. tilting the engine.

I have been trying to get this project going for several years; the person who originally signed on to do it decided to "move onto greener pastures", so I brought the whole pile of engineless 82 sedan and parts up to Anders. The other guy made it seem like a slight transmission tilt was easily dealt with, but reality is reality, and he didn't provide ZF cooling lines or crossmember (And yes, I meant "crossmember" not "mount", thank you for clarifying).

He did provide a temporary drive shaft which he said works, but which I would probably want to use only as a template to have a custom one built.

ZF notwithstanding, now I feel like both of you are either conspiring, or helping, me to make a B55 decision!

Timing is working against me--my wife recently had surgery, and needs an automatic to drive in a few weeks, so I may postpone my ZF dreams until some future date when time is not of the essence and I can do it properly. I DESPISE quarter-assing things (half of half-assing), but I'll just consider this a temporary "rear end ratio w/o overdrive test" :-D

I really, really, really wanted overdrive and lockup torque converter, but Anders believes a B55 (which he happens to have laying around from a recent purchase) with the 3.31 tallest-of-tall rear ends (also from the same vehicle) would be a fine combo. My wife will not mind missing "snap off the line", and hopefully the turbo will spool up a bit during regular in-town acceleration.

So I'm still collecting ZF parts, but with less urgency now. Maybe a summer project (didn't say WHICH summer--I have a neglected Corvair, GMC Jimmy, and Travco motorhome which I'll probably focus on this upcoming summer)

I'll have to look for a Electronic Speedo-compatible rear end and electronic speedo at some point too for the ZF conversion--but the B55 of course has the cable speedo mount which I can use now. And I can see how the 3.31 feels, vs. going back to the 3.54 (which the car currently has). And yes, I still need a crossmember and the cooling lines.

Thank you RedArrow for an offer of B55--if something goes haywire, I may need one!

Thank you again for being such a great community, and hope to see you at the XXX Root Beer fest in February (which I FINALLY made it to for the first time last year, snow postponement and all). Maybe that's a good time to collect the parts I need...!

Scott

Tags
bw55, zf zf4hp22