D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 08-10-2010, 03:19 AM

Default glow plugs stuck on

Not sure why, but if you watch my recent video, I mention my glow plugs are still on.... any idea why this is? I tapped the relay thinking it was stuck, but its not.

Im glowplug-less now.

Any ideas?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:10 AM
Owner/admin

If they are on, the relay is bad. It must be stuck there is nothing else that runs them. Just get yourself a high amperage starter relay and wire it to a push buttom switch. Cheap and easy fix. The volvo relays are expensive no matter where you buy them.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:33 AM

lol, my buddy with an old 6.2L chevy diesel did that... said the old one went out at like 120k lol.

Will do, ill just put that on the long list of things to do =/
Old 08-10-2010, 07:34 AM

I also had that problem, i replaced the Volvo-relai for another Volvo-one because a had a spare.
To notice if it happens again, i placed a second seatbelt-reminder-light in the middleconsole paralel to the glowplugs to "see" them glow.
So i can even notice if they're glowing a while after the engine just starts running, especialy in wintertime.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Owner/admin

Ya know it could be the temp sensor, you should check that for resistance against the other one, they are both the same sensor. Don't really hear of them going bad all that ofter but should be checked anyway.

Jason

Old 08-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Supporting Member

Ya but could the temp sensor cause the GPs to stay energized? Thought the temp sensor only provides signal to cycle the GP relay for a period of time-- not able to force the relay to stay energized over its "max" time?
Old 08-11-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Ya know it could be the temp sensor, you should check that for resistance against the other one, they are both the same sensor. Don't really hear of them going bad all that ofter but should be checked anyway.

Jason
a temp sensor eh, I hear there are 2? which one would be the one to be checked, and what resistance should it read?
Old 08-11-2010, 04:25 AM
Owner/admin

Ya thats a good point, it shoul go out anyway I suppose. Just replace the relay.

FYI, the sensors are at the back of the head below the cam sprocket, and at the front of the head just below the forward most glow plug. The rear one runs the glow plugs, the front one is for the temp gauge. Don't know what the readings should be, but if your gauge works correctly you could just measure both and compair. I don't think thats the problem though.

Jason

Old 08-11-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Ya thats a good point, it shoul go out anyway I suppose. Just replace the relay.

FYI, the sensors are at the back of the head below the cam sprocket, and at the front of the head just below the forward most glow plug. The rear one runs the glow plugs, the front one is for the temp gauge. Don't know what the readings should be, but if your gauge works correctly you could just measure both and compair. I don't think thats the problem though.

Jason
Ahh, fine point when the comparison. Ugh, was it necessary to place it in the back of the engine... omg.

Ill just make it push-button for now... =) tha way it will always work the way I want it to.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Even if the GP temp sender is unplugged the plugs should still go out shortly after the engine starts.

If a relay sticks on and the plugs never get turned off, they can melt themselves and the tips can get swollen... and then you may have trouble getting them out. Or even worse, a tip could come free and drop into the combustion chamber and do major damage. If the relay sticks, unhook the power to it right away, otherwise you may end up causing lots of other trouble for the motor.

A light on the dash to monitor if the plugs are glowing or not is a great idea to avoid this problem.