D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!

Old 08-18-2014, 07:15 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Coolant hose failed

Posted to wrong section? Luckily my diesel didn`t die!!

It`s almost `ocd` but I check things under the hood before and after every trip (to see/hear/find any imperfections,fluid levels,wiring issues,hoses,leaks (if any),etc.
`Bad news` … On a long distance fishing-camping trip this weekend, fish not biting, …so I couldn`t catch a damn thing but a tiny coolant `leak` which I`m not going to underestimate at this point. Good catch! Good news that I found it. but… I`m having a hard time finding the proper hose itself though… it`s the one that runs from the nipple at Upper Rad hose towards Inj.Pump. At 50mph in 4th, Climbing the Verrazano Br on the way home, I noticed a 1millimeter hike at the temp gauge (less pressure thx to hole on hose??) so I said wtf it`s always been steady&it`s definitely not what it usually shows. Normally I have it slightly below middle, but needle was at middle now. No overheating, no issues, but this hose must go!
Any info/ideas appreciated (quick temporary fix by silicone tape, rubber glue , grandma`s apricot jam, etc, idk)
What I see: There`s a very small hole (visible when hose is bent or squeezed) that lets some coolant out which then evaporates I guess, and leaves yellowish residue behind (that`s how I noticed the leak, it looked similar to oxidization or some foamy glue or whatever, see pict) I use Zerex G-05 coolant btw.
There`s no coolant missing. Actually,Talking about the last 6-700 miles recently, I did have to fill up exp tank yesterday because level was somewhat half an inch lower than `max` which I`m religiously trying to maintain if needed. Both clamps carved into hose pretty badly, ends of hose are aged,may be brittle. I`ve been keeping an eye at this mean thing for 2yrs... time to get it out asap.
Label on hose says VOLVO 1257446 7462 1284 (I guess it`s the 1257446 that matters)
Some websites describe it as a part for 240/260 Diesel Volvos, under the same part number. Why? Some sites say 240/260/700 Volvos use same part number. I never found a great photo on these sites to see/compare what they are selling.

At www.Scandix.de there`s a 1040364 Product #. I`m confused. Best suggestion on a temp fix?
I`d love to have a Volvo part installed asap. Please share if you know about the source.
Whoever has engine out now…Could you please measure exact inner and outer diameters of both ends of this hose OR both nipples it goes onto? Thank you in advance!! If you have one, I of course pay for shipping it to NY

I cant find it listed here
http://www.swedishautoparts.com/740/...s.html#linkbar

These guys say it is no longer available. Here they call it Part # 1328973 (???)
http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/pr...2/1257446.html

Tasca has it????????????is this the right one???
http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-volvo/1257446

Best way to fix it? Idk. Here`s some ideas.
http://www.viperperformance.co.uk/subcats.php?xctId=35

This is NOT the one, I think.
http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...piece/1022971/

PLEASE COMMENT!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140817_172241[1].jpg (87.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20140817_172231[1].jpg (82.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20140817_172259[1].jpg (89.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20140817_172321[1].jpg (89.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20140817_172434[1].jpg (83.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 08-18-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:05 AM

Don't fix it with thin walled aluminum pipe, that will be a possible corrosion issue long term. Those pipes are suitable for air only, not coolant. Since this hose goes from the IP to the head, stiffness isn't a concern so you can replace it with stiffer than stock hose or pipe.

If I were you, I would just get a brass or copper size adapter that adapts from the size on one end of the hose to the other. Then you can run regular off the shelf coolant hose from any auto parts store. You could solder this yourself from copper pipe fittings, or buy one at most industrial hose supply stores.

In the short term, you can make the hose survive until you get a replacement going by wrapping it in a layer of "hose repair tape" as sold in truck stops, then wrap diagonally in two directions with dental floss, and then wrap again with a layer of hose repair tape. I've done this on hoses before, and suspect even the worst hoses would survive months of normal use with this treatment. I never drive an old diesel anywhere without this tape and dental floss in the glove box.

Another option is to just remove the cold start device and cap off it's hoses. I don't know how well that would work in your climate, but in warmer areas I think it would be fine.

Last edited by casioqv; 08-19-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:48 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

I have a handful of good used hoses -- that would probably be your quickest option. Send a PM if that would be of interest to you.

This piece is NLA from Volvo, unfortunately, but also not hard to make your own if needed, as casioqv suggested.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
I have a handful of good used hoses -- that would probably be your quickest option. Send a PM if that would be of interest to you.

This piece is NLA from Volvo, unfortunately, but also not hard to make your own if needed, as casioqv suggested.
Thanks for the quick answer guys. I figured it will be not too easy to find it.) Tasca lists it but there`s no picture of the item so I cant compare. It might be another volvo item with the same part number? i dont know.

I do not know sizes either, could one of you measure inner&outer diameters at both ends of hose, please? (Or, at the point where it goes onto)
I`d have to remove &measure myself but I wouldn`t get car off the road until I`m ready for the fix (time&proper hoses---measurements needed).
Also, I got worried some about those air pocket in cooling system issues I was reading a lot about, here on the forum.

Isn`t this leak (near, or...) at the highest point of the entire cooling system?... that suggests to me that it might be a `lucky spot` to have a hole at, therefore it might not be `so` rocket science to get it off, putting in new unit (2hoses with an adapter (or a T) between them) without losing much coolant, maybe, then using your best d24t-pro way/method to get all air out, guys (suggestions welcome!) Probably I should do a flush too but let`s deal with 1 issue at a time.
I didn`t have overheating at all, just noticed that ugly hose , the clamp eating into it , plus now it`s leaking.

Why am I thinking that easiest way would be to get hoses onto each end, let them meet at middle where u would see either a compression fitting or a copper connector/ adapter/reduced/splicer
Would it be useful having some type of a valve in there?...pointing up maybe? that could be an access point for later service, if some `checkups` needed.

Interestingly, I found a picture of a TD volvo, called SoDak, on a forum, there I saw a pic showing same hose being home made, 3sections joined by `50lbs of clamps` or a T? ...looks it`s been functioning properly &holding on safely.
Comments needed . Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
Don't fix it with thin walled aluminum pipe, that will be a possible corrosion issue long term.
TRUE! Thanks!

If I were you, I would just get a brass or copper size adapter that adapts from the size on one end of the hose to the other. Then you can run regular off the shelf coolant hose from any auto parts store.
I was thinking about same solution.

In the short term, you can make the hose survive until you get a replacement going by wrapping it in a layer of "hose repair tape" as sold in truck stops, then wrap diagonally in two directions with dental floss, and then wrap again with a layer of hose repair tape. I've done this on hoses before, and suspect even the worst hoses would survive months of normal use with this treatment. I never drive an old diesel anywhere without this tape and dental floss in the glove box.
Wow. I`m surprised. Dental floss...nice. Will put that into the toolbox! thx for sharing!

Another option is to just remove the cold start device and cap off it's hoses. I don't know how well that would work in your climate, but in warmer areas I think it would be fine.
I`d stay away from that thing if possible. Idea is good if there was nothing else to do. I love to hear from people how they deal with d24 issues
Sorry forumers, I still dont know how to do multiple quotes properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg connections volvo 740.jpg (29.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 09-02-2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: typed incorrectly
Old 08-20-2014, 08:23 PM

Default Size matters

Fantastic! Thank you in advance. Who else would have NLA brickparts at home?V8volvo! Thank you for offering the part! I`ll buy one of them I think.
would you measure inner diameters of the hose please?
(I have to visit H0meDep0t anyways, I`ll still look around a bit there )

Solution or not? to push them together according to picture? using a copper pipe inside smaller id hose. ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-1408899210796-V[1].jpg (75.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-1408899262549-V[1].jpg (85.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 08-24-2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 08-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Why am I thinking that easiest way would be to get the hoses onto each end, let them meet at middle where u would see either a compression fitting or a copper connector/ adapter/
Yes this would work, simple to execute. No need for a compression fitting, I see hose size adapters in various sizes all the time at the auto parts store, usually in the "Help" section. A straight-thru section of tubing with different OD sizes either side (ex. 1/2" OD one side, 3/4" OD other side). Don't drive yourself crazy trying to get exact exact sizes, as the rubber hoses are able to stretch or clamp down quite a bit.

Quote:
Would it be useful having some type of a valve in there?...pointing up maybe? that could be an access point for later service, if some `checkups` needed.
Can't think of any reason for this. Remember, extra valves, hose connections, clamps, etc. introduce more points for failure.

Drain about a quart into a container should be sufficient to not lose any when replacing that hose. Later you can filter it (I use easily available coffee machine filters) and re-add it.

Trapped air bubble is not the big problem you're making it out to be. Here's how to avoid it:
When filling coolant system, leave the hose disconnected from that IP coldsart waxstat housing (the upper fitting).
Fill coolant system. When coolant flows from the housing fitting connect and secure the hose.
Continue to fill the coolant system until full.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:53 PM

Default NLA Volvo hose 1257446

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
A straight-thru section of tubing with different OD sizes either side (ex. 1/2" OD one side, 3/4" OD other side). Don't drive yourself crazy trying to get exact exact sizes, as the rubber hoses are able to stretch or clamp down quite a bit.
Not yet found the right thing; having removed the failed hose for measuring i figured that heater hose size 1/2 InnerDiameter works at cold start device side, 3/4 hose ID size works right at upper rad hose. Some adapter will be fabricated/found asap.I`ll ask v8 to sell me one of his used ones too.

Quote:
Remember, extra valves, hose connections, clamps, etc. introduce more points for failure.
Very true, I completely agree. No need for extra junk. We dont need complicated things in these ancient machines. Thanks God the Only computer in it is my laptop.

I removed the hose, measured both ends, bought heater hoses 1/2 and 3/4, tried them on, next step is getting some adapter (to connect them at middle) which I couldn`t locate today anywhere, car shops and plumbing supply stores didn`t have the right one. Unbelievable it is. Air out, old hose back, hunt continues.
Hose is hard at the end, also cracked a bit under clamp, rusty, scratched, has a hole that leaks. Nipple at CS device has some missing edge which is not a big deal I think. Both nipples were covered with hard, thick residue that looks like limescale.
ps. I`d prefer a 1-piece adapter, not a soldered copper thing. joke: to avoid the extra weight (uglyness) of the clamps added so car can run faster.
ps.2. i`m thinking if it works to have a 2or3inch copper piece pushed into the smaller diameter hose (1/2), than pushing this whole thing into bigger 3/4 ID hose then put 2 quality clamps on. Basically rubber-on-rubber type of connection with an inside stabilizer copper hose that would not let it collapse when clamps are tightened. IDK. might be a funny looking risky setup, never did it before on any of our diesels. Anybody does/did same thing before?see picts 2 posts above.

Also `bothers me` that the direction of flow there is `fat to thin`. (towards CS device)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140824_112646[1].jpg (91.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20140824_113452[1].jpg (91.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20140824_112522[1].jpg (83.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20140824_114016[1].jpg (89.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20140824_113359[1].jpg (97.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 08-24-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:50 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Both nipples were covered with hard, thick residue that looks like limescale.
Granular green on the outside of the fittings is most likely dried antifreeze coolant. It may have been seeping from there. Otherwise, you'll want to investigate any other apparent corrosion. Change antifreeze at recommended intervals; don't use well water or hard water (or mineral water); check engine grounding connections & wires (that one behind the A/C compressor/ power steering pump is susceptible to corrosion) and do a check for electrolysis.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:11 PM

Default coolant system tricks

Quote:
Granular green on the outside of the fittings is most likely dried antifreeze coolant. It may have been seeping from there. Otherwise, you'll want to investigate any other apparent corrosion. Change antifreeze at recommended intervals; don't use well water or hard water (or mineral water); check engine grounding connections & wires (that one behind the A/C compressor/ power steering pump is susceptible to corrosion) and do a check for electrolysis.
Yes, I will, last one is a great idea, informative website. I cant recall any coolant leaks there but a few drops at a `T` somewhere near/under VacuumPump long ago, caused by a rusty clamp down there...

I use Zerex G-05 only. If I had to add fluid for some rare reason, I used distilled water only, not mineral or purified etc junks. I`ll want coolant replaced soon (i wish i had more time), radiator flushed and one more thing that`s important. As far as I remember, PO told me that rear hose behind block hasn`t been replaced when engine was out so I`ll have a posting about that when time comes...

I`ll check all ground points, thanks, although that has been done pretty well when my ignition switch became an angry b.tch, so I got stranded in a hotel bsmt in Daytona Beach, FL Not bad...and I had to analyze lots of things to see electric issues , if any. A full disassembly of ign switch later solved the problem. WD40 & dashboard shine was found inside it. (yes, me)
So grounds are ok but will check again. Removed&Cleaned them that time...

Most of the time my alternator is pushing out 14-15V , I mean, that`s what I always see on instrument cluster gauge. Needle Might be at too high. Why?* idk. I like the idea of that coolant sponge that absorbs the extra. *Battery might be shit? Car starts always for the very first crank, even in -20celsius. I`ll check battery too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140322_204058.jpg (90.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 08-24-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:40 PM

Default Volvo 1257466 NLA heater hose

Above mentioned heater hose started dripping coolant constantly (when engine running)...so...Homemade solution got installed today, I hope it`s not too `jerry-built`... (?)
Thicker hose (upper radiator hose side) is 3/4 ID, thinner hose (coldstart device side) is 1/2 ID. They are connected at middle by a copper junction (3/4 to 1/2 1-piece copper reducer used with 1.5 inch of 1/2 pipe soldered into it.
Swedish ABA clamps... BUT THE PIPES are totally straight&smooth--> I know the best would be to ROLL BEAD the tube!!
RIGHT? (creating an edge so hoses wouldn`t have any chance of sliding off)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140830_170431[1].jpg (80.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20140830_155845[1].jpg (82.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20140830_160214[1].jpg (79.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20140830_160857[1].jpg (83.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20140830_175646[1].jpg (89.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 07-20-2015 at 04:43 PM.