D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2018, 05:04 PM

Vehicle: 1983 Volvo 760 Turbo, D24 T, M46 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Only sign is the engine will suddenly quit running. Upon further inspection you will find at least bent valves, damaged pistons, probably bent connecting rods as this is an interference engine. Therefore the 65,000 mile timing belt change spec. Note that if it has sat several years in the same position that can cause a "set" in the belt that may result in a premature (in miles, not chronological) failure. So if you don't know the history of the Timing belt, better change it. Requires special tools and knowledge, sorry no way around that. Lots of info on that in this forum if you look for it.
The car got a full service before I picked it up at a local mechanic. After I got it home 1400k's later, I took it to my diesel mechanic. He said it was a very happy and healthy motor. The D24T currently in the car is not the original engine, it's still a 83' D24T motor but it has under 100,000 - he didn't specify k's or miles. I will replace anyway, better safe than sorry. Is it a timing belt or a timing chain? and where can I buy them? Thanks