D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2013, 04:01 PM

Default Converting to D24 :)

hi, i'm new on here but been a member on volvoforums.org.uk for a while. i'm from England and currently 18, my first car is an '89 740 that we bought back in '06 and have been running ever since. i've been maintaining it and learning about it ever since, and driving it since i passed my driving test last year and it's just passed 232000 miles. originally it's a B200E N/A 8 valve petrol 740 GL so pretty pathetic.

here's my thread on volvoforums.org.uk for anyone interested: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=99391

plans have always been to put a more interesting engine in when i could afford to, originally it was always probably going to be a B230FT from a 940, but in the last year or so (mainly thanks to Steve with his 960 converted to D24 power), i've been more and more keen on the D24, and eventually decided this was the way i was going to go, but not until i could afford the insurance and had some money for the swap.

as we all know, the best laid plans always go wrong, and on tuesday morning i was pulling off the motorway on my way to university (i'm an aeronautical engineering student), when the temperature skyrocketed and when i managed to pull over i found all my coolant was everywhere but in the engine. first time the car has actually broken down in the 6 years we've had it, but before long (before it had cooled down) i'd decided that the tired, knocking B200 had driven it's last mile, and was on the lookout for a D24TIC

a few months back i had been talking to a guy off the VOC who had advertised a 940 D24 on the forums for sale, and had said that i'd be interested in buying his car maybe, if he could wait till the end of the summer, but i thought that the uncertainty in my emails, and the fact that it would involve a lot of waiting had put him off, and even thought maybe he had sold the car. after trying every volvo specific breaker in england, and drawing a blank, i finally decided to give him a try just in case, and ten minutes later we'd exchanged 5 emails and settled on £350 as a price. if only i'd tried that first! the donor car is a '95 940 which seems to be pretty much tsorlanda spec and has no MOT thanks to rusted sills, however it has a good, well maintained D24TIC and an M90 gearbox (albeit with no synchro on first). still, for that price and given i cant find another i'm not complaining!

here's the for sale thread when the car was first advertised: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=172893

so, plan is to swap the engine and drivetrain from the 940 to my 740, along with any other bits that i might need. hopefully this will be fairly soon as i'm getting annoyed with having no car again after just a week! i'll also be nicking a few other bits from the 940 if they're better than mine.

future plans i'm looking at an electric fan conversion, MBC and boost gauge, more fuel and boost (within reason for now), but first i'll be doing a timing belt and all that to basically go stage 0 first. having just finished rebuilding the D5252T (AEL) in mom's V70 i don't want to have another cam belt failure of a Volkswagen diesel to deal with!

that's pretty much it for now, i'll have to get some pics up sometime, but they'll probably be the swap in progress and then the car afterwards rather than any of my stuff from before as i cba to post all the stuff that's in my project thread off VOC again.

hope you all like my plans, if anyone has any advice then please, please give it to me as i need all the help i can get i think!

Richard

Last edited by raw; 05-18-2013 at 04:07 PM.