D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2018, 11:07 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Nozzle centered in the inj. housing is fairly important. Bosch even has a centering tool (basically a thinwall metal tube that slides into the gap between the nozzle and the housing) for use when refurbishing. It's not that hard to eyeball it. You should open up the injector and reset the nozzle to center it, then retorque it closed, and pop test it/check spray behavior/re-shim as necessary.

Did you notice it when you installed it? Were these new injectors or did you install new nozzles into the old injectors?

Hard for me to imagine foreign matter migrating from the injector spill side to the inlet side. Pretty much a one-way pressurized flow, no?

Try recentering/pop testing the your #6 first.
All six injectors were new injectors, with new "gtd" nozzles fitted, set to 170bar, I purchased them from Anders. They looked& worked great for several months.
At the time of installation, I did not notice nozzle/nozzles being off centered.

I'll take the bad injector apart to see if I can spot visible damage or dirt, but I doubt it failed due to foreign material. I would say that the nozzle got misaligned by the turning force when the injector itself had been torqued into the head, maybe the crush washer/injector shield did not sit flush enough or idk. But it ran so well for long, only then it failed.

Whatever it is, im glad that those bad sounds were not caused by an internal major issue.

Unfortunately a diesel inj tester isnt part of my tool hoard yet.