D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!

Old 07-16-2014, 12:04 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan1227 View Post
7/16 deep socket will work like a charm IF I can fit it between the gear and the firewall. There is just no room to do the work. What about torquing? I dont see how I can fit a big torque wrench anywhere. Of course the book shows torquing it off the car, but I didn't see a way to install the bracket bolts to the block once the pump was attached.
Tranny mount shot? undo it and jack the tranny till it touches the tunnel, there will be a bunch more room.
Quote:
I did this once from below, after removing the fuel filter housing. A little tricky getting the bolt started but not too bad overall!
Not too bad with a gearwrench and a stubby.

Last edited by 745 TurboGreasel; 07-16-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:34 PM

OK figured the mounting out. Now on to the timing. Is there reason I can't just use a magnetic base for the dial indicator, rather than the special adapters that thread into the pump?
Old 08-04-2014, 07:01 PM

Default rear timing belt

well i guess i can use the mag base because it seems to be working. any tricks for installing the rear timing belt without removing the cam sprocket? thanks
Old 08-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Supporting Member

OK, Thanks, good to know.

IP belt replacement w/o removing camshaft pulley? Preferred method for timing IP calls for loosening the camshaft pulley to rotate it on the camshaft. That's at least halfway towards removing the pulley (to R/R the belt).

But I guess you could try loosening the IP mounting bracket bolts to the block, and raising the IP/mount to slacken the belt enough to remove it. Probably a good idea to at least recheck the timing after retensioning.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:53 AM

I was hoping to not have to loosen the rear cam sprocket as I don't have the holding tool. I have read through several posts regarding IP timing, and am having some issues.

to summarize:
- I removed the IP and had it rebuilt at a local shop
- I have re-installed it and am attempting to time it
- I have installed a dial indicator with a 6" extension. I am using a mag base to the pump bracket. I did not pull the vacuum pump, but it sounds like that is the easiest way to verify the engine is at #1 TDC.

Questions:
- When I rotate the pump thru a full turn, I only get .06 (1.5mm) total travel. Is that enough? (I am right in the middle of my indicator, and it has an inch of travel)
- As I rotate the pump toward its 'high point', it becomes difficult to rotate, then it 'releases' to a 'low' spot. In fact it is hard to keep the initial alignment with the marks on the bracket. Is that normal?
- Following the green book, I align, back off to find zero, then align and lock. I read .023 (.58 mm). Too low, correct? Then what? The book says to install the belt and loosen the cam sprocket and rotate to the desired setting, but how if the pump is locked at this point?

Sorry for all the basic questions, but this is new to me and I'm trying to get this done for my daughter before school starts. Thanks! Bill in AZ
Old 08-05-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I was hoping to not have to loosen the rear cam sprocket as I don't have the holding tool. I have read through several posts regarding IP timing, and am having some issues.

to summarize:
- I removed the IP and had it rebuilt at a local shop
- I have re-installed it and am attempting to time it
- I have installed a dial indicator with a 6" extension. I am using a mag base to the pump bracket. I did not pull the vacuum pump, but it sounds like that is the easiest way to verify the engine is at #1 TDC.
Pull the valve cover, you can both verify the cam is in' tits up' position, and hold the cam to loosen that bolt

Questions:
- When I rotate the pump thru a full turn, I only get .06 (1.5mm) total travel. Is that enough? (I am right in the middle of my indicator, and it has an inch of travel)The ramps on the camplate are not ral big, but that seems maybe a bit low to me?

- As I rotate the pump toward its 'high point', it becomes difficult to rotate, then it 'releases' to a 'low' spot. In fact it is hard to keep the initial alignment with the marks on the bracket. Is that normal?
Yes, there are heavy springs in there.
- Following the green book, I align, back off to find zero, then align and lock. I read .023 (.58 mm). Too low, correct? Then what? The book says to install the belt and loosen the cam sprocket and rotate to the desired setting, but how if the pump is locked at this point?
Not enough. You either lock the pump pulley and rotate the housing orlock the housing and rotate the cam pulley.

Sorry for all the basic questions, but this is new to me and I'm trying to get this done for my daughter before school starts. Thanks! Bill in AZ
Done valve adjustment?
Old 08-05-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745 TurboGreasel View Post
Done valve adjustment?
No, the engine was professionally rebuilt before I bought it and I assumed that everything was adjusted. Bad move? It ran pretty smooth once I got it running, but it started stalling, and by process of elimination we decided the pump needed to be rebuilt.

Since it sat for a while in the sun, I have changed a lot of the gaskets including the VC. If I pull it to check the cams, do I need to replace the gasket again?
Old 08-05-2014, 04:18 PM

Most professionals working on these engines, or even a regular VW diesel have no idea what they are trying to do. that's before they try to do something cheaper, faster, or easier. Mainly it's easiest to check when you already have the lid off.

The 1 piece gaskets are pretty reusable, the cork ones just suck.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:43 PM

ok pulled the VCG and checked the valves. Turns out I was 180 out for #1 TDC ha ha. All valve clearances came in around .009 intake and .017 exhaust, so it looks like they were set properly. And yes I had purchased the cork gasket.

I finally got the pump timed. I locked the pump pulley and rotated the housing until I get .035". It was here where the correct 5194 tool is better than the mag base because it is hard not to disrupt the indicator when loosening one of the pump mounting bolts, I had to re-zero a few times.

Tomorrow I will start to connect everything and then we can see if it worked!

thanks so much for the help.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:

Tomorrow I will start to connect everything and then we can see if it worked!
If there is blood on the car, it will work