D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobodan View Post
If you mark everything, and make damn sure shit don't move. You should be fine. but its easier to have the right tools. To set pump timing, and what not. There are some interesting things about these engines. like the front cam gear.. No key way to index. Its a tapered fit. and when refitting the gear the bolts torque spec is 33ftlbs.

head bolt torque
180degree
run engine till warm
90degree
run car 1000miles
90degree further.

rear cam gear is 75ftlbs but you shouldn't need to remove that one.

the manifolds are around 15 ~ 16ftlbs

I would remove the cam shaft in order to lessen the risk of damaging the valves during removal of head. cam shaft cap nuts torque - 15ftlbs

Would be a good idea to get head shaved.... but take it to a machine shop that has worked on these heads. Do not worry about the cracks between the valves. its normal. head work will probably run you around 400$ on the high side. especially if you've overheated the engine a couple times.

Use new head bolts. or get ARP head studs. If you can find one, Get the metal head gasket... much better. I've done a couple head gaskets on these engines. I haven't done them the right way because the owners didn't have the money but wanted it running. So we did it the ghetto way. And so far so good. but then again. They didn't have just one head to choose from.

That is if you do have a blown head gasket.

I like doing the head gaskets on these engines because everyone else is like "What the hell?? how do you do this? " I say its easy watch this...
wtf! its just tapered on the front? i swear, this engine is the sillyest thing ive ever worked on lol.

I drilled a hole in the pipe connecting the radiator to the engine to vent the boost gases "if any" took it out and got it warm "taking it easy for once" then I did a HARD 2nd pull to 20psi, that fitting looked like a waterhose on full blast! lol, theres no doubt that the HG is blown to bits, but it still pulls good under boost lol...

im scared to death of that pump! im probably just going to keep everything together, mark the front timing belt top and bottom, take it apart, clean the hell out of the head and block, clean the pistons free of any rediculous buildup and smash it all back together!

i got to looking around on google... who makes a good stainless HG? and any idea what the head stud's measure? im gonna have to price all this out =/

damn, ive gotta spend money now, shit