D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2011, 10:48 AM

Vehicle: 245 d24 NA
Default I need help please ! VIDEO to diagnosis inside

Hi !

I need help !

I've started for the first time my engine (a d24 rebuilt by a engines machine shop owner (a machinist?) and it run like crap !

-It is difficult to start
-it doesn't want to take rpm
-it's smoking like Fidel Castro
-it's shaking like a junky on rehab

It looks like it runs on 3 cylinders....

The machinist said me it was not able to take rpm too yet.(like me now)

After i bought it, i did ALL the things that are supposed to be made to maintain it except the gaskests (wich are new) like timing belts injection pump setting, water pump etc....
I have changed the injection pump because of what he said me about the fact it didn't take rpm, thinking it was because of his "pump rebuild" work.

I've used the special tools to work on the timing belt and the pump.

I THINK i have te pulley of the injection pump turned once or twoo between the dismantling and the remounting.that could explain all the smoke caused by the three others not burning fuel and puking out in the exhaust no ?

Could it be that or the flywheel not bolted exacltly where it should ?

i mean displaced of one hole (but in this case i should have twisted all the valves or even felt the blockage when i moved it by hand first no ? (i don't think but huh i have not a lot of experience

THE VIDEO OF THIS: (and HOW I FEEL RIDICULOUS AND STUPID.... I'm supposed to know what i'm doing....

[video=youtube;5kgSKn1PBDg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kgSKn1PBDg[/video]
Old 12-05-2011, 02:20 PM

I dont think you can put the flywheel on wrongly as the hole pattern does not permit a mistake. However, I do not see a transmission so how did you get the timing mark for TDC?
I am presently in Mauritania so I cannot download your video. It would take all night.
It sounds as if the injector timing is too late or the injector pump is not yet completely filled with fuel.

Are you sure you have the camshaft timed correctly? Do you have all the valve clearances correct? Do you have good compression on all 6 cylinders when you turn the engine with a wrench?
The crankshaft keyway on the front of the engine should be vertical at TDC.
Are you using the cold start lever in the correct position?
Have you tried keeping power on the glow plugs after engine starts?
You should just go back and double check all the timing settings for both belts and make sure your fuel supply is reliable and it cannot suck air and your glow plugs work for at least 10 seconds before trying to start.

Steve
Old 12-05-2011, 02:48 PM

Thanks for your advices and your answer.

About your questions :

The transmission is bolted on the block and i used it to install all the parts wich need it.

I have used the special tools for the timing belt and did it following the manual specs : it should be ok (i will check again, again, again)

The valves clearances should be ok : the engine was rebuilt by a professionnal for his own brother (it's not a reason i know) i will check it

I've seen the frontal keyway pointing the sky during the tming belt installation while at TDC i will check it again

The cold start device is connected and pulling hard on the cable of the pump.

I've used glowplugs 10s before each of the several starts i did on it ,not during because it can stay a bit on idle alone.
it starts but not easily and smoke a lot and sounds like it is choking itself (like a too rich mixture on a gas engine)
It doesn't rev up even if "full fuel"

The all 6 pistons are new and the cylinders bored i can hear suctions when i turn it by hand and it blow air by the exhaust when i crank it with the electric starter.

The engine ran 11 years ago during around 1 hour or so with the same symptoms.

Knowing that when i bought it, i've done, all the belts, tensionner, water pump, and installed a different injection pump (wich worked normally on an other engine).

Thanks again.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

You are right, it does not sound too healthy.

When you set the injection timing, did you first disconnect the cold start advance? If you set the timing using the dial indicator but leave the CS connected and pulling on the lever, then your actual static injection timing setting will be incorrect (retarded by about .25-.30 mm), and the engine will run poorly with some of the symptoms you are seeing.

In your situation, you cannot assume anything -- it would be a good idea to verify valve clearances, etc for yourself. Start by pulling the valve cover and checking valve clearances and cam timing. Adjust both if necessary. Also loosen your timing belt -- it is too tight! I can hear it howling in your video. That is not the cause of your running problems, but it could cause other problems. Reduce the tension a bit . On a cold engine, the belt should have some visible slack. Should not be taut.

On a D24T a while back, I had some strange starting and running issues similar to yours that were traced to a faulty injector that was allowing exhaust to get pushed into it, causing the injection pump to fill up with air. If you are doubly sure that all adjustments of timing, valves, etc are correct, then your next step will be to take the injectors out and have them tested by a reputable diesel injection shop. Plan on a compression test while they are out.

You'll get it figured out!
Old 12-07-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
You are right, it does not sound too healthy.

When you set the injection timing, did you first disconnect the cold start advance? If you set the timing using the dial indicator but leave the CS connected and pulling on the lever, then your actual static injection timing setting will be incorrect (retarded by about .25-.30 mm), and the engine will run poorly with some of the symptoms you are seeing.

In your situation, you cannot assume anything -- it would be a good idea to verify valve clearances, etc for yourself. Start by pulling the valve cover and checking valve clearances and cam timing. Adjust both if necessary. Also loosen your timing belt -- it is too tight! I can hear it howling in your video. That is not the cause of your running problems, but it could cause other problems. Reduce the tension a bit . On a cold engine, the belt should have some visible slack. Should not be taut.

On a D24T a while back, I had some strange starting and running issues similar to yours that were traced to a faulty injector that was allowing exhaust to get pushed into it, causing the injection pump to fill up with air. If you are doubly sure that all adjustments of timing, valves, etc are correct, then your next step will be to take the injectors out and have them tested by a reputable diesel injection shop. Plan on a compression test while they are out.

You'll get it figured out!

Thanks for your answer.

I've disconnected the cold start device when i 've set the injection pump.
It was sure loose.

The noise that you can hear is the back plate of the timing belt wich was rubed by the camshaft pulley, i bent it back a bit during the video.
It stopped the noise.
I was careful not to tighten it up.
The belt can make a 1/4 of rotation quite easily on it's own on it's longer part.

You're right about the valves clearances, i cant trust a pro even if it is one
Seen i do all the maintenance on my own engine i must know where i am with it.

Now i have to check all that

Very stange your problem with the injector, i never saw that !
I will remember that.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:16 AM

Hi !

So i've checked :

the valves clearances : all is in the specs (tight side however, but it was cold ,10°C or 50 F ,when i measured the gaps)
the timing belt is in the position it should
the pump setting : 0.73 before TDC while i should have 0.80 for my naturally aspirated engine.

I'm a bit astonished that setting leads to a so bad running condition

Could it be the only problem ?

I will reset the pump to the specs and will try to start it again....

Old 12-11-2011, 09:36 AM

Try advancing the timing to .9. You can always change it again later.

Steve
Old 12-11-2011, 09:39 AM

Is it good for a NA engine ?

it's not too much ?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:16 AM

Its only too much if it rattles too much. My guess is that start up will be smoke free and power will be good.
I think timing values are conservative, to detune the engine for poor quality fuel.
Try it and see. Changing the timing only takes minuted if you turn the rear timing belt sprocket. Do not twist the IP

Steve
Old 12-12-2011, 10:07 AM

Ok.
Thanks.

i will try this setting for sure.

I think i found the problem : i have removed all the injectors because it sounded like it was choking itself after to have checked again all the stuff i did yet : belts TDC etc....

I found 2 MOFO STUCK INJECTORS : the needle is stuck in the nose for 2 of them...

i'm cleaning them right now and i try to unstuck the two bastards without fubar them

If you have any advice to do it properly i 'll take it !