D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 12-28-2017, 09:48 AM

Default d24 sump pan gasket

hi all how big a job is it to replace the sump pan gasket on my 1995 940 diesel ?
Old 12-28-2017, 08:25 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

I replaced that cheapo gasket on two of my engines and it was quite an annoying task (because there is a handful of bolts, many are different length and diameter.... and some are located in weird tight places) but it is comfy doing it on an engine stand (upside down).
I took great picts but my laptop is currently broken.

I can imagine this project being a hell of a real mess when engine is still in the car! I also didnt like the fact that the gasket is actually 2 gasket pieces that can be tricky to do right. I used a german (Reinzosil?) sealant at the joints. Think of drying times too especially in cold weather. Also it is pretty easy to strip out the 20-30-35year old bolts. Do it carefully. I spent at least a good few hours on each engine...including disassembly (oil pan removal while on engine stand(!), rust issues and surface cleaning then assembly. I made a very detailed, life-sized drawing of the entire pan with all holes, so later as the bolts came out, I strictly kept them in order for easier and faster installation.

What makes you think that the oil pan gasket is failing?
There are *plenty* of places elsewhere on this engine where motor oil can be leaking from.

Share more...good luck finding the source of the leak. Maybe fully chemical clean the engine as step one.

Last edited by RedArrow; 12-28-2017 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 12-29-2017, 11:28 AM

Default sump pan leak?

thank you red arrow for your comments . i have cleaned the area its at the font of the sump slightly to the left i drove 70 miles today and on inspection cod see no oil leak at moment there is some oil only small at the very front behind the large fully but there is a bit at the top on the right looks like rocker cover gasket this has been done a few times in the last 18 years so don't think i can stop it .
i will keep a close eye on the leak area thanks again
jim
Old 01-11-2018, 09:46 AM

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

hi all
after giving the sump a really good clean in the area that showed oil .
im now daily confident that the oil is coming from a seal on the front of the engine just hope it does not get worse . its very little just now hardly anything
Old 01-11-2018, 02:18 PM
Supporting Member

Possible suspect: Leaking Front (oil pump) Cover