D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage

Old 06-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdigo View Post
As for the heat loss there is a gas burner system that puts the turbo on the tail pipe. you can look here. http://www.ststurbo.com/ Might be worth a study. I may try a setup like this with a T3 using my stock manifold, but Im a ways off from having a running engine. Currently agonizing over new a new oil pump or not. Big bucks. These engines are not cheap like their VW 4 banger cousins.
I'd skip the new oil pump unless yours shows signs of wear. They are not known for having issues on these engines and, as you have discovered, are not cheap to buy new ones. If it were me I would spend the money elsewhere unless you have evidence your current one has a problem.

I share your point of view about hacking stuff up... whether or not the work is done in an elegant fashion is the difference between a car that is fast and exciting, and a car that is both of those things but is also a pleasure to drive even when you are just sitting in traffic. Anyone can build a car that goes fast and corners hard. It takes much more skill and effort to build one that does that and also fits together nicely, is easy to work on, and doesn't look like it was cobbled together with duct tape and a hacksaw. That's why I'm also opposed to mounting engines and transmissions at funny angles, chewing up the mounts or crossmember, etc.

I don't think you can fit the stock TD manifold into the 240 without some kind of alteration to increase clearance... either changing how the engine is installed in the car, or pounding on the shock tower or frame rail or whatever gets in the way. Seems to me like using a different manifold setup solves all those problems in a pretty elegant way. The engine can sit like it is supposed to and you can put everything together in a way that makes sense, rather than having to constantly compromise using parts that were designed to fit in a different vehicle.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Slobodan

Well, Not saying what I have done with my TurboDiesel 245 was correct. but I love the results. however, I need to find a .36 A/R Stage III turbine housing. The .63 is a bit doggie. And will only get worse when I change the rear end to a taller gear.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:05 AM
Owner/admin

Nah... you just need more fuel.

Really though, the closest thing you will find will be a stage II .48 housing. The .36 doesn't come in a stage III. Also, the turbine wheel will only be for a T-3, so if you want to adapt to a T4 compressor you will be milling down the compressor wheel as the shaft wont be long enough to get the nut on.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 06-26-2010, 08:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Slobodan

So how goes the progress on this project?
Old 06-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Supporting Member

Have the turbo, the dual-acting actuator, a big intercooler, all the tubing, and most of the little stuff to get it put together. Now just need to find the time.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
It is going to get a Garrett GT2056V VNT turbo off a Jeep Liberty CRD, using a double-acting VNT actuator off a Dodge Shelby CSX to regulate it. This will be one of the first applications of a VNT to a D24T in the world.... stay tuned, we will report on how it turns out.
v8volvo,

Any progress on the VNT vane controller? I am familiar with the Shelby CSX, and turbo Dodges in general (I have a intercooled turbo Omni), how do you propose to actuate the VNT? I am aware of VNT turbos on older diesels utilizing mechanical linkage to facilitate the vane orientation. I think your idea is neat, but I am not sure how it will work. Give us an update!

1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Old 10-05-2013, 07:30 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

Hi V8volvo,
I think I`ve seen this car at Dan`s.
Did you `find the time` to fix it?
Old 11-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Hi V8volvo,
I think I`ve seen this car at Dan`s.
Did you `find the time` to fix it?
Not yet... it's still there.

We got a good start but then got sidetracked and it's been sitting. Got everything to build the motor including a Giles pump. Still need to find the time. It will happen...