D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2011, 06:17 AM

Default Anyone run Bio or Veg oil on here?

Think I've heard a few mention running Bio, but not heard of anyone using Veg oil - SVO or WVO?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:32 AM

Yes, I have run WVO.

I installed a Greasecar kit with the tank in the spare wheel well of the 85 wagon. It worked very well and you could not tell when you were running on veg unless you went round the back and sniffed. Nothing was felt switching over either way. I found it hard to get the oil up to 160 F though and ran at 140 most of the time.

I have not used it recently as that particular car is not insured at present and the oil is hard to get.

I also have a 2003 Golf tdi converted. Same results, you cant tell whether or not its on veg without sniffing the exhaust.

Steve
Old 10-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Supporting Member

I personally would never run WVO in a diesel again. When I sold my 240 years ago the guy that bought it ran WVO, I sold the car with 170,xxx miles with some blow by but not a huge amount. I found it on craigslist and bought it back with 195,xxx miles on it. It was only running on 5 cylinders at that time. I pulled the engine and inspected it. Everything in the crankcase looks like it was rubber coated. It killed the bearings and clogged the rings.. Change the oil often, if you run the stuff.
Shipments done on fridays!

1982 242 D24+T/M46- Super pumped! Build thread:
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1545
1984 764 D24T/ZF build thread: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1734
Diesel parts cars: 82 244,83 244, 84 244, 84 245, 85 745
Old 10-21-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders View Post
I personally would never run WVO in a diesel again. When I sold my 240 years ago the guy that bought it ran WVO, I sold the car with 170,xxx miles with some blow by but not a huge amount. I found it on craigslist and bought it back with 195,xxx miles on it. It was only running on 5 cylinders at that time. I pulled the engine and inspected it. Everything in the crankcase looks like it was rubber coated. It killed the bearings and clogged the rings.. Change the oil often, if you run the stuff.
That is certainly good advice. The veg that makes it down into the crankcase does some well documented nasty things and I would recommend every 3000 miles max and make sure the veg oil is good and hot before turning it on.

I know someone who filters his crankcase oils, used transmission fluid etc. to 1-5 microns (synthetic, dino, no matter) the same way as he filters his WVO and then burns it in his engine a bit at a time. That way it does double duty. Apparently no noticeable smoke.

Steve
Old 10-22-2011, 01:16 AM

Definitely a good point about the veg in the crankcase - will be changing oil frequently.

The reason i'm asking is i've Ben testing mine to see what it can handle. I've just been using svo (new veg oil from supermarket our cash and carry). I've actually found that it runs fine with even 90% svo and 10% misfuel (petrol/diesel mix). Starting is a little cranky at 3 degrees ambient temp but that is just because my cold start unit had been taken of when it packed up.

What my issue is - from cold it is extremely rattly. Even with just 20% svo it rattles terrible between 1000-2000 rpm. Of you keep it in a low gear at 2500 rpm it's do much quieter - just like ruining straight pump diesel. Had anyone else experienced this? Adding cold start advance (manually) didn't make any difference to rattles.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:34 AM

As far as my knowledge goes they can run 100% WVO fine as long as it is filtered down correctly and the water content removed. Howewer, you need to use a tank heater. WVO will solidify in winter and the tank needs to be heated in order to get it thin enough for the pump to pick it up.

They tend to be a rattly engine anyway, does it cease once warmed??
Old 10-22-2011, 01:38 PM

I think you are being very brave to run cold veg oil through your injector pump etc. Its viscosity is much higher than regular diesel fuel and the pump will be working much harder to pump that stuff and its an expensive item to repair or replace. Generally it is considered OK to heat the veg oil to about 160F so that its viscosity is then very similar to cold diesel fuel and the pump does not have to work any harder.
This is what you do with a two tank system which is a common way to use WVO oil.

If the engine is rattly, it would seem to indicate that the combustion process is off, ie the timing is wrong for the fuel.

Its my experience that with everything at the right temperature, the engine running on veg oil is smoother and quieter than running regular diesel oil.

Steve
Old 10-22-2011, 02:29 PM

I know what you are saying about the cold veg oil - that is why I usually run 50/50 with diesel, which brings it's viscosity much closer to that of diesel. Apparently running 80/20 or 85/15 with petrol is best, as the petrol lowers the viscosity much better than diesel. I'm using misfuel at the moment which is half diesel, half petrol as it's free.

My plan long term is to either twin tank, or just to add a heat exchanger to heat the veg oil before it gets to the pump. I am also going to add a lift pump so the IP isn't working add hard to suck it from the tank.

That was also my thought that timing was not correct, but veg oil Burns slower than diesel, so normally you have to advance the timing. But rattles and diesel knock are symptoms of too much advance. Also this is only when cold. Past 1/3 temp it's fine.

I mentioned this rattling on the veg forum but was shot down for having the Monark nozzles which are not correct for this engine.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:52 PM

How do you know its half and half?

If you get a lot of gasoline/petrol in your diesel, it will certainly rattle!

Steve
Old 10-22-2011, 04:04 PM

Also forgot to mention that im lead to believe you will need new pump seals that the wvo cant eat away at