D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2014, 01:56 PM

Default Hello!

Hi everyone, I am glad to be a member of this forum!
My name is Ian, I am 20 years old and work on Cummins engines for a living.
I am a total newbie to the D24 engine and volvos in general, diehard 12V Cummins guy
I made the plunge and got a 1985 Volvo 740GLE with the D24T, automatic as a new DD for myself, as the 70 mile trip to work every day was hurting the wallet @ 18mpg.
Here is my volvo saga.
I bought the 745 in Medford OR, went up, saw the car, bought it, and left it at my dad's shop. Unable to return and get it, my dad said he'd bring it down to me. Here's where the fun part begins. He towed it down (I thought he was going to drive it) on a tow dolly, rear wheels down, with the driveshaft installed.

So, my auto is toast.

I found an '84 D24 powered 245 for sale with the M47 for very little money up in Oregon again. I believe it is owned by a forum member, and has IP issues.

I am wondering if I can make it a bolt-up swap using the 245 as a donor vehicle. I much prefer manual transmissions, hence why I am preferring to go this route rather than drop in another automatic.

If I can't bolt this in and have it done in a weekend, this swap is not practical for me, as I am very busy with work.

If that's the case, I am more inclined to put another auto in it. What vehicles can I source one out of at a salvage yard?

Also, I am assuming my current auto is toast. Here are its symptoms in case it may be (somewhat) easily repairable? Has fluid, does not smell burnt. Shifting into drive or reverse doesn't do anything, acts like it is still in neutral. Car was driving fine before it was towed here.

I appreciate the help everyone!
Ian