D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 10-20-2009, 10:21 PM

Maybe you could use same system than me.
Oil flows to oil separator, but never back to engine.
So its closed system, and pressure in motor will push gasses
there, dont fear. And in top of separator there is pipe and air filter
to keep gas flowing.

Really much like the oil separator systems sold in market.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:12 AM
Owner/admin

Like a catch can, only problem is you have to drain it all the time... With the drain its self contained and I don't have to screw with it.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
I really like your set up. Especially the VW caps, very nice touch. I have been concerned about the oil in my intake/turbo for a long time now. I came to the same conclusion as you awhile ago to build a "catch can" that just drained the oil back into the pan.

Upon talking about this idea I was advised against it. Under the idea that there is more gunk in blow by then just oil, and you didn't want to drain that directly back into the pan.

As I repeat this now, it sounds kind of foolish. I mean, I don't know of any cars that came with catch cans from the factory. They all send the oil back to the pan somehow right? Either way it's not going into the intake/intercooler where you really don't want it.

Although I suppose I have heard some horror stories about what people find when they clean out their intercoolers with no catch can.

I am just wondering if there is any merit in this concern and if you have had any experience with extra gunk?

I have wanted to build something very much like that, but have been scared off so far by this idea.

Just a thought:
What about a better baffle system right on top of the valve cover, so that most of the oil never even got out of there in the first place? just drained right back in. Or even a better baffle inside the valve cover. Oh my.

Thanks,

-Eli
I think the "gunk" you are referring to is probably sludge that forms when the oil is mixed with pressurized air and some exhaust soot, as it is on, for instance, a TDI with EGR. The oil mist coming out of the breather tube, if not mixed with other contaminants in the intake, should just be pure oil, and there is no reason not to send it straight back to the pan. Remember, from there it will get screened at the pickup then pumped through a filter anyway. If there is going to be some kind of gunk or crud in the stuff coming out the breather hose, better to send it straight into the pan than piping it into the intake side of the turbo, where it could chew up your vanes, get into the intake stream, etc.

In any case the truth is that the oil is not going to actually hurt anything whichever place it goes -- just it will create a big mess if you put it in your intake, especially if you have an intercooler too. The oil separator system prevents that. I'm sure the only reason no cars come with it from the factory is just because of the added complication and expense. Plenty of big trucks come with them. It is an excellent way of dealing with oil vapor, especially on older engines that may produce a fair amount of it.

Eli, since your D24T is in a 240, you might have a nice option for a place to drain back to the sump -- just put it in the hole for one of your two dipsticks.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:08 AM
Owner/admin

I too wouldn't take any stock in the the opinion that its going to be full of gunk. The blowby is comming from the valve cover to begin with, which is inside the engine already. You just returning back to where it came from. I think George is right, people that are saying that are confused with the EGR soot/sludge found in a TDI for example. Sorry but EGR just does not belong in a diesel engine!

Jason

Old 10-22-2009, 06:44 AM

Thanks guys, you have calmed my worries on this issue. Just in time too, I was about to buy a conventional catch can.

now I will build something like this for my car.

As for training it back into the second dipstick tube. Jason said he had problems with crank case pressure not letting it drain down. I might give it a shot, but I would like to develop something that sits on the valve cover and baffles it as it comes out.

We'll see what happens.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Owner/admin

Ya it needs to drain back into the oil pan. If you drain it into the block above the oil level, you have blowby pressure in the block that trys to come up the tube and hinders the drain back. I ended up dumping into where the useless oil level sender was.

Jason